Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 & M82 in (Ha)RGB

ChrisLX200

A nice target for when the Moon is bright - it's on the opposite side of the sky :)

Still needs some work because I'm having some difficulty successfully combining the Ha with the Red channel without losing a fair bit of the Ha detail.

My usual gear: NP127is, Atik490EX, TV Pronto+Lodestar, Losmandy G11.  8 x 20 min Ha subs and 8 x 15min RB (synthetic green used because it went cloudy... :( )

M81_M82HaRGBcrop_zpsefdbd06e.jpg

ChrisH

Hey thanks everyone, much appreciated. :)

I looked at it again in the light of day and decided to re-process - wrung its neck in PixInsight in fact to squeeze as much detail as possible out of it. I think I managed that but I'm not sure if I like the end result as much. Whilst there's more detail (in the dust lanes in M81 for e.g.,) the overall result is not as smooth.

M81_M82HaRGB2_zpsc87dcc63.jpg

ChrisH

Hi,

Lovely image.

I am looking at tackling these pair of galaxies when the weather clears up (goodness knows when that will be  :huh: )

Carried out a test shot last Friday when the full moon was out. Was trying to use any opportunity to test my new guiding setup!

Do you have any advice on what exposures I should go for? I cannot really go more than 5 mins with my current setup as it becomes too noisy.
I was thinking of trying to get as many 2-3 min exposures as I can. Ideally +1.5 hours total exposures also not sure on ISO 800 or 1600?
I am in an Orange zone so I have that to deal with as well.

Thanks

Archived