Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

oaCapture 0.1.0 for Linux and OSX released

JamesF

Working through the possibilities I'd say it's little-endian RGGB.  I still have at least one problem however which may relate to the number of pixels in a row.  I'm not entirely sure I haven't managed to get the image upside down, either...

James

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurrah for USB packet sniffers! :D

I now have the camera correctly initialising from Linux and displaying a sane image.  Just need to implement a few controls and I think I'll come back to the binning and ROI later.

James

I just want to say a big thanks for this. I am hugely impressed by the skill/speed/dedication and commitment in doing this, and as a fellow software developer, I understand the amount of work that will have gone into this. I salute your work :icon_salut:

Yup Little Endian (as most Intel) and I can confirm RGGB :)

Once I have the pure-OpenCL pipeline sorted, I'll start on a shared library form linux etc) of the drivers, initially using CoreFoundation but that can then be pushed to something else.

I just want to say a big thanks for this. I am hugely impressed by the skill/speed/dedication and commitment in doing this, and as a fellow software developer, I understand the amount of work that will have gone into this. I salute your work :icon_salut:

Very kind of you.  Thank you.

James

Yup Little Endian (as most Intel) and I can confirm RGGB :)

Thank you, Nick.  Thus far it looks like it's mainly the QHY cameras that are big-endian.

I must admit that I've not thought much about code the being "endian-agnostic".  It was a big deal back in the days when I used to work on the likes of Motorola 68k (big-endian), Intel (little-endian) and MIPS (either, depending on what the software vendor wanted, as far as I recall) at the same time.  Now I think an awful lot of people don't really consider it.

James

James,

I just installed your program v0.1.1 on my MBPro Retina for my GHY5L-IIm and everything seems to be working except for one issue, you may be aware of it, but the image flashes or winks (maybe not the right terminology) every 5 seconds.  I don't experience this when running EZPlanetary in Parallels.  Thanks for all your effort to produce this Mac software.   Hopefully this will eventually allow us to use PHD2 on the Mac with the QHY5L-II.

Don

That's not a problem I've noticed.  I'll see if I can reproduce it here.  It might be worth playing with the preview frame rate in the settings to see if that changes the behaviour.  Could just be that I've made a poor choice for the default.

James

I have just got Mint 17 v2 Cinnamon 64bit so could install that on one of my 64bit machines and then install oaCapture.  I can set up my NEQ6 (assuming it still works after it was floored by one of the goats) indoors and mount a scope (eg. Evostar 80ED) plus OAG, Lodestar and Atik 314L+

I have a Lodestar working now, but not the 314L+.  Getting control of the mount is something that's approaching the top of my list now, as I'd really quite like to have it track the image and keep the planet on the sensor at some point.

Having the remaining Atik cameras work would be quite nice for other purposes though.  I probably need to make some changes to my interface to differentiate between cameras that are essentially "free-running" and those that are single-shot (and some that can be both).  I can then probably hook up to the INDI modules to support various cameras and think about where that takes me.

James

I'll watch out for updates then :)  Guiding with the Lodestar on a star would be useful :)  As would Atik camera imaging of course.  I have thought of separating guiding from imaging.  Once the mount is pointing the right way, guiding could be done with a separate computer.

• 2 weeks later...

James,

I just installed your program v0.1.1 on my MBPro Retina for my GHY5L-IIm and everything seems to be working except for one issue, you may be aware of it, but the image flashes or winks (maybe not the right terminology) every 5 seconds.  I don't experience this when running EZPlanetary in Parallels.  Thanks for all your effort to produce this Mac software.   Hopefully this will eventually allow us to use PHD2 on the Mac with the QHY5L-II.

Don

Don,

I'm struggling to reproduce this.  Which OS release is this on?  I'm assuming that if it's on a Retina display it's probably Mavericks or Yosemite?

James

• 2 weeks later...

Dear James, thanks for developing oaCapture! I tried to make an Arch Linux package, but the usual process configure && make failed because I doesn't handle properly the dual installation of qt4 and qt5 on the system. It uses qt5-moc but qt4 includes:

checking for moc-qt5... moc-qt5checking for uic-qt5... uic-qt5g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../include -I../ext/ffmpeg -DHAVE_LIBUVC=0 -I ../ext/libusb -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -g -O2 -MT moc_camera.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/moc_camera.Tpo -c -o moc_camera.o moc_camera.ccmoc_camera.cc:15:2: error: #error "This file was generated using the moc from 5.4.0. It"

I'm not familiar with Qt, do you know how this can be fixed? In configure.ac there are some pkg-config checks, on my system the qt5 packages are named Qt5Core and so one, the qt4 are named as you wrote in the file. I just don't know how to fix the use of the same version for moc, uic and pkg-config. I can't just force qt5 in the check because automake gives me errors, probably the format of the autotools files is too old for automake 1.14, but that wouldn't be a good solution anyway for users with only qt4.

Cheers!

Apologies for the delay in responding.  Somehow this got buried in all the other stuff I have going on at the moment :(

If you edit these lines in configure.ac

AC_CHECK_PROGS(MOC, [moc-qt5 moc-qt4 moc])AC_CHECK_PROGS(UIC, [uic-qt5 uic-qt4 uic])

so they only refer to the qt4 versions then that might work as long as those qt4 executables exist.  Obviously you'll need to rebuild all the configure scripts with autotools.

I am slightly mystified however as to why the Qt4 paths are picked up via pkgconfig when it uses the Qt5 moc executable.

James

Thanks James. In fact I was wrong, I can update the configure after having modified the configure.ac, I thought there was a version issue but I was just not using the correct command.

That said, I'm still not able to build oaCapture.

Forcing Qt4, I have an error still saying that it was moc from Qt5 that was used, and I don't know Qt enough to rebuild it.

Forcing Qt5, I have a first error indicating that -fPIC is missing from CFLAGS, but after that there is another error:

In file included from moc_autorunSettings.cc:9:0:autorunSettings.h:32:32: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class QWidget'class AutorunSettings : public QWidget^In file included from /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qobject.h:48:0,from /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qabstractanimation.h:37,from /usr/include/qt/QtCore/QtCore:4,from /usr/include/qt/QtGui/QtGuiDepends:3,from /usr/include/qt/QtGui/QtGui:3,from autorunSettings.h:29,from moc_autorunSettings.cc:9:/usr/include/qt/QtCore/qmetatype.h:1287:7: error: forward declaration of 'class QWidget'class QWidget;^In file included from moc_autorunSettings.cc:9:0:autorunSettings.h:44:5: error: 'QLabel' does not name a typeQLabel* numRunsLabel;autorunSettings.h:48:5: error: 'QLineEdit' does not name a typeQLineEdit* numRuns;^

and many other undefined Qt symbols. I don't get it.

And to answer your question, Qt4 paths are selected because on my system, the packages you are referring to, QtCore QtGui and QtNetwork are the Qt4 version, while Qt5Core Qt5Gui and Qt5Network are the Qt5 version, so your configure cannot work on such systems.

On your system, which Qt do you have, only the 5?

Vincent

Thanks for the software James, first piece of Linux software I`ve managed to get my DMK 21 firewire camera working with  :grin: . Cracking little camera and thought I was going to have to flog it, with moving to 100% Linux in the obs!  I`m running Kubuntu 14.10 64bit BTW

Steve 

Thanks James. In fact I was wrong, I can update the configure after having modified the configure.ac, I thought there was a version issue but I was just not using the correct command.

That said, I'm still not able to build oaCapture.

Forcing Qt4, I have an error still saying that it was moc from Qt5 that was used, and I don't know Qt enough to rebuild it.

Forcing Qt5, I have a first error indicating that -fPIC is missing from CFLAGS, but after that there is another error:

In file included from moc_autorunSettings.cc:9:0:autorunSettings.h:32:32: error: invalid use of incomplete type 'class QWidget'class AutorunSettings : public QWidget^In file included from /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qobject.h:48:0,from /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qabstractanimation.h:37,from /usr/include/qt/QtCore/QtCore:4,from /usr/include/qt/QtGui/QtGuiDepends:3,from /usr/include/qt/QtGui/QtGui:3,from autorunSettings.h:29,from moc_autorunSettings.cc:9:/usr/include/qt/QtCore/qmetatype.h:1287:7: error: forward declaration of 'class QWidget'class QWidget;^In file included from moc_autorunSettings.cc:9:0:autorunSettings.h:44:5: error: 'QLabel' does not name a typeQLabel* numRunsLabel;autorunSettings.h:48:5: error: 'QLineEdit' does not name a typeQLineEdit* numRuns;^

and many other undefined Qt symbols. I don't get it.

And to answer your question, Qt4 paths are selected because on my system, the packages you are referring to, QtCore QtGui and QtNetwork are the Qt4 version, while Qt5Core Qt5Gui and Qt5Network are the Qt5 version, so your configure cannot work on such systems.

On your system, which Qt do you have, only the 5?

Vincent

If you force Qt4, then do

$ rm oacapture/moc_*

and rebuild, does that help?

James

Thanks for the software James, first piece of Linux software I`ve managed to get my DMK 21 firewire camera working with  :grin: . Cracking little camera and thought I was going to have to flog it, with moving to 100% Linux in the obs!  I`m running Kubuntu 14.10 64bit BTW

Steve 

That's excellent news :)  FireWire has been a little troublesome in places, so I'm glad to hear this is working.

James

Excellent.  I'm pleased you have it building.  I don't know how Arch Linux handles udev, so you might need to do a little work to get that sorted unless you're using a camera supported by V4L2.  It shouldn't be too hard though.

James

Hi guys

Well tried my DMK21 firewire camera in the obs today and it seemd to work for a while but now I seem to have lost the preview facility even though 'Preview' is selected. The camera is shown as connected but no preview screen and nothing happens when you try to capture an image, anyone suggest something else to try please?

thanks

Steve

Ps I note you said firewire was a bit iffy James :tongue:

Archived