NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A dob but a little out of the box.

Wanting some apature and from a luna / plantary view.

Also needing somethign which is easy to handle I have priced up a F11 6 inch custom Orion Dob, anyone used something like this? Obstruction will be only 25mm

not quite like that but an 8" f13

it was great on planets but very wind dependent

was first used for the shoemaker levy 9 impacts

I plan to rebuild it

I had great fun with it and it was surprisingly good on PN's as well

An alternative would be an Intes or Intes-Micro six inch mak newtonian.  They come up second hand now and again at pretty low prices compared to buying a new one.  Mine is excellent on the moon and planets as it has a tiny secondary.  They can be pretty good on deep sky for the size too as the F-ratios tend to be about F6. 

They are more compact than a similar aperture  F8 to F11 newts but are rather heavy though.  Also, they take quite a long time to cool down.  Just a thought.

An alternative would be an Intes or Intes-Micro six inch mak newtonian.  They come up second hand now and again at pretty low prices compared to buying a new one.  Mine is excellent on the moon and planets as it has a tiny secondary.  They can be pretty good on deep sky for the size too as the F-ratios tend to be about F6. 

They are more compact than a similar aperture  F8 to F11 newts but are rather heavy though.  Also, they take quite a long time to cool down.  Just a thought.

I used to own an Intes MN61 mak-newt. It was a really versatile scope and put up great images of the planets. Really "refractor-like" quality :smiley:

I also think a Mak Cass is the best choice in terms of getting a large aperture instrument at reasonable cost with reasonable mounting requirements.

Only recommendation re Mak Cass is to get a Lymax or something similar to aid in rapid cooling of the scope.

my 6" f11 is a wonderful if slightly scarce and unusual scope. it is affected by the wind and takes a little while to settle after nudges. for this reason I made an equatorial platform for it which works well. I got mine cheap so will never sell it.

in truth I use this mainly for doubles now but it is very nice on solar system objects. my 12" and 16" f4 dobs provide better planetary detail in good seeing.

Archived