NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which compact scope?

Hi,

Firstly, appologies if this has been asked before. Ive been looking at getting a nextstar se6 as this scope seems to tick a lot of boxes for me at the momment, as storage is a crucial thing for me.

Id love the 8" but i dont think my budget will stetech to it as its another 400 pounds plus unless i can find a good one second hand.

Anyway, my question is what difference would there be between the SE6 and say the 127 Skywatcher skymax 127. I know its 1 inch smaller, but its half the price of the SE6. I just wish the SE8 wasnt so much more money

has anyone here got any expereince of both scopes that could add any thoughts.

The SW 127 is actually slightly less than 120 (about 118mm) due to the primary being slightly stopped down by the size of the secondary.

The 6SE has a much better mount and tripod, much more solid than the 127 and the 6SE mount can hold other scopes which weight more than the 6SE whereas the 127 mount and tripod combo is fairly limited.

I have used both and recommend the 6SE in this case rather than the 127.

However, you can always get a well cared pre-owned scope and get more aperture for your money so that you can have the 8SE.

Thanks fpr that Nicos, 

A good point you raise about buying a used scope, I think I saw that advert on ebay too for that 8se. Food for thought I guess. I suppose you just dont get your 2 years manufactures warrenty with it.

What other scope could I run happily on that mount? I guess it depends on its weight limit.

The 8SE is 7 kilograms. I would say a refractor up to 5'' with short focal length, a reflector like the 150mm SW should be fine again (subject to clearing the bottom of the mount of course - you may not get clearance to view at zenith, but there is a trick to doing that with these mounts).

I've had a C6 and 8 inch SCT, I would consider getting an 8 second-hand, as for me they are a lovely balance between aperture and size/weight. The 6 is super compact and a sweet scope that really packs a punch, but if you have a little more space for the 8, the 8 is great.

The benefit of the C6 is that it is a great travel scope as well, if you don't mind the narrow field of view (can be marginally corrected with a focal reducer though). It mounts well on a reasonable photographic tripod and a reasonable mount.

But the 8SE does have 77% more light gathering power, which is no laughing matter...

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but Luke, your photos are awesome and I am glad both you and Sarah are putting the TV 60 through it's paces. Your gallery is awesome!

Astrotyke, if you can secure a nice pre-owned scope at a good price, go for the 8SE. It is a keeper of a scope and you will not worry about more aperture in that kind of telescope.

You may get aperture fever but that is something that a 12+" Dob will satisfy, or you may crave wide field views which is something a Skywatcher 80mm Short TUbe can easily (and cheaply) remedy. 

Hey, thanks for the replys guys

The 2 main reasons why im looking at this type of scope is 1 that id like to do mainly planetery/moon observing, and also storage space for me is an issue. I do have a shed but I just dont fancy keeping the OTA in there and would prefer to keep it indoors, so these scopes tick those boxes nicely.

Ive never bought a scope second hand before, and I suppose I would have to give it a good check before purchasing it. What thing would people recommend to look for on a used scope before buying,

I would like the 8 I guess, and used is probably the only way I could afford one. Also, these will still go in the car for transport to remote sites which is another good plus point.

Seek out your local Astronomy Group, if there is an SE8 owner there than you can look at (and possibly through) one before you buy.  In any case there will always be someone to help you with purchasing secondhand. 

There are groups near you in Doncaster, Mexborough & Sheffield.

http://www.donastro.org.uk/

http://msas.org.uk/

http://www.voyagerdome.co.uk/sas/

You may find that these groups meet in more than one place, so check out the nearest one to you.

Other pointers: -

1. Know what eyepieces & accessories come with the scope & enquire if the original packaging is available, if they are all present it points to a looked after scope.
  2. Try & see it set up if possible, again check it is complete.
  3. If the scope has parts missing or the seller does not answer your questions in satisfactory manner then walk away.  The same applies to a scope that is not as good as the description.
  4. Take your time and if not sure do more research and ask questions, we are here to help.

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

Seek out your local Astronomy Group, if there is an SE8 owner there than you can look at (and possibly through) one before you buy.  In any case there will always be someone to help you with purchasing secondhand. 

There are groups near you in Doncaster, Mexborough & Sheffield.

http://www.donastro.org.uk/

http://msas.org.uk/

http://www.voyagerdome.co.uk/sas/

You may find that these groups meet in more than one place, so check out the nearest one to you.

Other pointers: -

1. Know what eyepieces & accessories come with the scope & enquire if the original packaging is available, if they are all present it points to a looked after scope.
  2. Try & see it set up if possible, again check it is complete.
  3. If the scope has parts missing or the seller does not answer your questions in satisfactory manner then walk away.  The same applies to a scope that is not as good as the description.
  4. Take your time and if not sure do more research and ask questions, we are here to help.

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

Thanks Fondofchips. Im going to get myself down to one of my local groups in teh next weel or so, im spoilt for choice here which one to go to as im only about 25 minutes from the WYAS too at Pontefract. I have contacted the seller of one 8se and just awaiting a reply, it seems to have all the original equipment with it as far as I can tell.

i have read most of the responces but why do you want it on a mount ? what i mean by that is are you going to image planets or is it for visual only. if its visual only get a 10" dob. when there stored in the upright position the foot print will be far smaller than a eq mounted scope and weigh around the same. my 14" footprint is only around 450mm

i have read most of the responces but why do you want it on a mount ? what i mean by that is are you going to image planets or is it for visual only. if its visual only get a 10" dob. when there stored in the upright position the foot print will be far smaller than a eq mounted scope and weigh around the same. my 14" footprint is only around 450mm

The mount of the 6SE / 8SE is Alt Az, not EQ. Also, tracking makes life easier on the moon and planet for high power viewing.

Of course, nothing beats the resolving power of a large dob, but the SE series "ticks' most of Astrotyke's boxes  :grin:

Archived