Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weekends observing and frustrations!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a rubber ruler to me, put there so the the Jubilee clamp doesn't mark the tube.

It's Plastic and it rests on the tube ring to stop the scope from sliding down while its being rotated to get the Focuser to a viewing position......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you had normal night to me some times I can nit seem to find any thing ,the electrics play up ,I spill my tea on my books ,I some times drop eps on the obsy floor ,I bang my head on things

But just seeing one dso or globular cluster ,a planet or even my fav the moon always makes it all worth while it takes a few goes to get thing smooth and running right but there's the nights where things never work out the good thing is there's always another night

Pat

craigfoot........For all the same reasons, I keep my EQ  system in the shed! So much more practical and simple with the Dobsonian mount. 

If you can find Polaris visually, align the EQ system with Polaris. I preferred  to point one leg to NORTH for my setup, it makes no difference, as long as declination was correctly set. The declination was set to somewhere near N59° for my needs ( the scales are not that accurate?) then  I manually tweaked the adjusters, until the image was centred in the eyepiece/focuser using the 25mm supplied. I then went about aligning the finderscope to Polaris. Once the Finder and telescope were targeted at Polaris the rest was simple..........or not im my case. The slow-mo controls on my EQ have limit stops, so I had to keep resetting to centre. Then to view another target, meant un-locking, adjusting, then re-locking, then slow-mo adjustments to keep tracking, and maybe have to now rotate the telescope to keep up with the focuser position.

You will master it sooner than later, and all will become second nature. All this messing........ not for me.

Archived