NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen SG 2.1x42 Binocular Review

DirkSteele

I do not know an amateur astronomer who has not lost themselves to the beauty of the Milky Way arching overhead from a dark sky site.  As such, I think the Vixen SGs should be considered by anyone who has access to one, even occasionally.  Not only will the Vixen SGs reveal the complexities of the Milky Way that are only hinted at with the unaided eye and allow you to take in all but the largest constellations in one view with otherwise unachievable levels of detail, but they are an incredibly useful tool for those who like to star hop.  With a magnitude gain of approximately +1.5 over the unaided eye on point sources, they really aid in hoping towards a target when the guide stars are a little too faint to be comfortably seen naked eye.

The full review is on the link to my site.  http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2014/10/25/vixen-sg-2-1x42-binoculars-review/

Please let me know what you think

post-24651-0-61655300-1414342458_thumb.j

This is me testing the Vixen SGs under the Mag 7 skies in Namibia where I put them through their paces for two weeks.

Matthew you have produced an excellent review of these binoculars. I bought a pair in early June at the IAS in Leamington Spa and have used them on many occasions just to take in the views of the night sky and whole constellations at one time.

As you say they are great in helping with star hopping and in fact I have viewed through these binos via my red dot finder (the red dot showing within the binos FOV) in picking out certain areas of the sky.

Next week I am going to the Canaries and these binos have already been placed in the hand luggage. I want to explore the whole constellations from Grus through to bottom end of Puppis in the early morning.

Once again Matthew a brilliant review and I cannot imagine the views you got in Namibia.

Fabulous review Matthew, very useful for anyone considering this interesting instrument. I must admit I've hovered over the add to cart button on a few occasions. I might now just treat myself for Christmas after reading your review.

Hover no longer Vox - let the finger fall. They're a lovely bit of kit that gives an experience rich and rewarding. Can't wait to take mine to a dark site...

*Great* review Matthew! And great site too - added to my favourites, I look forward to exploring Alpha Lyrae!

I enjoyed the review immensely and I am sold on these as well. The only issue is that you have to hold them and I would so like some kind of contraption to hold them in place.

Someone came up with some kind of solution but for the life of me I can't find the thread.

Next week I am going to the Canaries and these binos have already been placed in the hand luggage. I want to explore the whole constellations from Grus through to bottom end of Puppis in the early morning.

Once again Matthew a brilliant review and I cannot imagine the views you got in Namibia.

Thanks.  Look forward to hearing how you got on with them in the Canaries.  They really are made for sweeping under dark skies.

Fabulous review Matthew, very useful for anyone considering this interesting instrument. I must admit I've hovered over the add to cart button on a few occasions. I might now just treat myself for Christmas after reading your review.

Click the purchase button!  They are the most fun I have had with binoculars.

*Great* review Matthew! And great site too - added to my favourites, I look forward to exploring Alpha Lyrae!

Hope you enjoy the site.  My favourite review so far is the 21mm Ethos.  And if you read an observing report, night 2 from Namibia in 2013 is my top pick.  You can read about failing to find ISON before sunrise.

A good in-depth review Matthew  :icon_salut:

Steve

Glad you liked it.

Thanks Matthew for a quality read.  I love mine too, so does everyone who has used them so far ! 

Spread the word, I think every amateur astronomer could benefit from having these in their line up.

I have returned from the Canaries and so pleased with the Vixen binos.

The first night I started viewing Grus and then in the early morning 2am to 5am studied Puppis and Vela. Using the Sky and Telescope Pocket Atlas it was so easy to identify the various whole constellations, individual stars and clusters.

These Vixen are an excellent purchase if you want to study whole constellations and the beauty of the Milky Way.

So please that I bought these binos.

Archived