Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tele Vue - Starguider, my conclusion!

Charic

bingevader..........I have already returned the EPs back to ghostdance!  Although there was no rush, it would be another week before I could trial them again, and the weather here is not helping, so I thought an early return is the best option.

Looking back now, I realise, it wasn't the best of comparison tests by any means. I  really only  wanted to see how the Plossl would fit with my eye, so I could have just tested them and sent them back, no-one else would be  the wiser!  My only point would be that for comfort, the BST wins for me. As for optical quality, the watery eyes and conditions, didn't allow specifics to be closely monitored. I'm sure the Tele Vue optics are fine. 

I think ghostdance  might be doing the opposite, wondering what a BST would be like over the TV. I offered a swap trial, but I think a purchase was already made/considered. Maybe ghostdance  will provide a report from a TV enthusiasts point of view.

I added a  note? ........... will help towards that EP or the 8mm I suggested he tries?

many thanks all.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charic, really good thread, i agree with the BST being very good, i used to own the full set but reduced them down to the 18 and 25mm when i got my ortho`s.

I found the 5mm starguider hard to get on with, yet i can use ortho`s down to 5, even 4mm if i get the chance but plossl`s under 10mm are a no no for me, i have a 6.3mm TAL plossl and its near un usable

Absolutely........I get on great with the BSTs, all of them, and I make it an issue to use all of them., framing my subjects as best as possible. Not every target can be viewed at/with the same magnification, so framing is the better option for me, I don't prejudge which EP  either, just swap them out until I'm happy with the result.  I really should do a BST comparison for myself, just to  see if anyone betters the other (outside of magnification).

I do think the 6mm WO SPL may be a winner though, as it matches my scope perfectly, regards telescope specifications? I just need the time and viewing conditions. Maybe this Friday or Saturday night! Pity there isn't a Starguider in 6mm

I note you have the TAL. It was a TAL vs Skyliner  for me, never having seen or tried either before purchase!  No regrets so-far with my present telescope  :smiley:

That's interesting - I've most of the BSTs. I use them in my f4.7 10" dob, and I find that they're all okay - except the 8mm, which if I'm honest does feel a bit less sharp.

The 5mm is often not very sharp - but at x240 that's not surprising, and on a good night, well, it's pretty good!

I do notice that the 5mm has a different housing - so I presume a different lens arrangement. I think the 12 and 15 mm are the pick of the bunch though. The 18mm, if I'm honest, doesn't get used that much, and again, feels a little less sharp. 

If I was going to replace one, it'd be the 8mm.

Absolutely........I get on great with the BSTs, all of them, and I make it an issue to use all of them., framing my subjects as best as possible. Not every target can be viewed at/with the same magnification, so framing is the better option for me, I don't prejudge which EP  either, just swap them out until I'm happy with the result.  I really should do a BST comparison for myself, just to  see if anyone betters the other (outside of magnification).

I do think the 6mm WO SPL may be a winner though, as it matches my scope perfectly, regards telescope specifications? I just need the time and viewing conditions. Maybe this Friday or Saturday night! Pity there isn't a Starguider in 6mm

I note you have the TAL. It was a TAL vs Skyliner  for me, never having seen or tried either before purchase!  No regrets so-far with my present telescope  :smiley:

In the real world, the 200 skyliner is going to be a better scope than the TAL, unless you prefer refractors as i do, then its the best scope in the world

It would be nice to see a full spread review of the BST's I don't think it has been done. I first read about these on Astromics which is a American dealer though they are called something different. 

Alan.

When i got my set of starguiders, i was going to do a full review but time flies by and it never got done, i found the 18mm to be the jewel in the crown, i really cant split it from my BGO18mm

The Cloudynights review of the Astro Tech Paradigm eyepieces is the most comprehensive that I've seen of these, assuming that they are the same as the BST Starguiders:

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/cn-reports/eyepiece-reports/first-look-astro-tech-paradigm-eyepieces-r1845

On that note John, and the fact that I believe the BST  Starguider, Astrotech Paradigm,  Agena Starguider, Olivion ED, Orion Epic, Photon ED and the TS N-ED, are all the same in their specifications, I'll pause on the task of a  full  BST Starguider assessment.

Not only that,  It wouldn't  be very technical,  or measured event,   and  would only  be a reflection of my personal  taste , which differs t to everyone else. I don't look ( haven't looked? )  for faults in any of my BSTs. I favour the 8mm as it was the first in my  collection, I also favour the 5mm as it was the last in my collection. Its good for the Moon, but you have to be quick-smooth with tracking, which I have mastered with my non-modified skyliner. As for all the other BSTs, I favour them too. I haven't used a BST whereby I stood back and said, " Nope, I don't like this one! " I've  also mentioned my newest arrival the 6mm WO SPL. If Only BST had produced this eyepiece to keep  within the branding.

You would suppose that  any 6mm would work if it matches the  telescope ( I work on telescope specifications?) but then why did the 6mm TMB PII fail with me so miserably? It was for me,  down to the smaller field of view, I never even gave thought to really check the optical quality, but I could just not get used to it after having used say the 8mm. The TMB was returned and replaced with the 5mm BST, and what a difference that made. But The 6mm WO SPL on first test through veiled cloud looks very promising. Cant wait for the right night to view Jupiter again. I know its just going to be a good image. But for what reason, price! The 6mm was cheaper (2nd) than my BSTs, is it better optics, or different design? They all have their merits. Is the 6mm just going to be a better EP? One thing I noticed with the 6mm WO is the focus snap? with my BSTs, focus is ( I expect the same with other EPs) blurry-focus-blurry as you go from long to short focus with in focus somewhere in between. With the WO there is blur-perfect-blur, the best image just snaps into place, almost like on-off. I`ll check more next time. I've heard folk mention of 'snap' when the seeing conditions sometimes allow that pocket of perfect opportunity to get the best image. I first  time I noticed this effect  was during its very first daylight use on some distant trees. It looked like the image was similar to un-collimated double image binoculars just either side of focus, but then just snapped into sharpness.

On a final note the f/6 (f/5.91) 200P (8") Skyliner with the BST EPs, the 32mm Panaview and the 6mm WO is about as perfect as I'll get for the money, and more importantly for MY EYES. This setup just works so well, and very happy with the results under the conditions I observe from. I also, until recently thought that a jump up to a 12" would increase the image scale, allowing me to see Jupiter maybe twice the size I see now through the ocular, but the 12" wont afford that luxury. so for now, my setup is complete.  :smiley:

A couple of links showing other brands. I think the only difference between branding is obviously the extra ink that goes into spelling STARGUIDER than N-ED, I do believe the colour bands are different between brands ie. my red 8mm against a blue 8mm? just a cosmetic change, and finally the cost. I'm assured that at retail, the BST is  the cheaper option (for me anyway!)

In the real world, the 200 skyliner is going to be a better scope than the TAL, unless you prefer refractors as i do, then its the best scope in the world

:grin: Lovely sentiment, Jules. I'd put the 10" Moonshane a tad better than the Skyliner :p which is the reason why I consider Shane and yourself as my biggest astro influences, ever  :smiley: 

Archived