Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

buy celestron cg5-gt for dslr astrophotography???

optimumw

hi to all members...i want to do long exposure astrophotography with my dslr and my lenses...max 300mm...because i have very limited budget i was thinking to buy a used celestron cg5-gt mount...i found it used here about 250 pounds in very good condition...my question is...it will do the job? or i must buy something else...always ofcourse in tight budget...i know that is not something special as a mount but maybe at this focal lenghts is ok for astrophotography...i dont know...i am  waiting for your lights...thank you

depends what you mean by long exposure - i would say you would get upto 60 second exposures if your polar alignment is spot on with just a DSLR and a 300mm lens - i managed upto 30-40 seconds with a Skywatcher 200p on mine unguided - have yet to have a clear enough evening to try it with my new smaller 80ED yet though

This mount is more than capable for your needs and has been for years but as said, accurate polar alignment is needed for reasonable length subs.

One thing you could do is also modify a webcam and convert a 9x50 finder and use it as a guidecam and guidescope for lengther subs for a budget guiding setup.

so from what i understand  at this focal lenght maximum (300mm) the cg5 is sufficient for astrophotography...i am thinking to buy the skywatcher synguider autoguider for guiding..it says that i dont need laptop to operate it...

thanks for the answers....also another offer that i  found is a used vixen gp mount with wooden legs for about 190 pounds..also in very good condition but 10 years old...it is only with one motor though...no goto's nothing...i read that cg5 and other chinese mounts copy the vixen mount...so the vixen is better for that reason?? and maybe more accurate??  if i buy it and i upgrade it later with goto from skywatcher kit will likely have better results because the better quality construction of vixen?? or it will be the same with the cg5...one thing that i have in priority is that i want to buy something ready and dont mess later with upgrades to motors and other...

To be honest, I know nothing about the Vixen mounts.

A lot of people do start off astrophotography with a simple one axis motor mount because goto isn't really need for it but like you said, you want to future proof yourself so go for the CG5.

how about this?? skywatcher star adventurer?? is in my price range and is very portable and also i read very good reviwes about this product...but can this small mount be comparable with the cg5  in terms of accuracy and stability?? 

One advantage with the CG5 goto is that after a preliminary alignment you can do a polar align via the handbox and telescope to get it spot on without a polar telescope. Of course one needs to repeat the star alignment again. Saves having to crick your neck looking through a polar scope at 50 odd degrees.

To be honest, I know nothing about the Vixen mounts.

A lot of people do start off astrophotography with a simple one axis motor mount because goto isn't really need for it but like you said, you want to future proof yourself so go for the CG5.

I completely disagree with this statement. for a.p., goto is almost essential. sure you can find the bigguns easily enough but try finding some of those dso's that are all but invisible visually. who wants to waste half a precious night searching for your target? not me :)

I completely disagree with this statement. for a.p., goto is almost essential. sure you can find the bigguns easily enough but try finding some of those dso's that are all but invisible visually. who wants to waste half a precious night searching for your target? not me :)

The majority of people starting off in a.p. will be imaging the bigguns so I agree that goto not essential to start with. For those that continue to more challenging objects goto is definitely required.

Sounds like you need a skywatcher Allview mount £300 new. Only issue is with manual slewing speeds and canon 5d cable but find a work around to this issue and its a great product!!

The Allview mount is an AZ mount which is unsuitable for long exposure astrophotography and its not goto which the OP wants.

At that price you would be better off with the Star Adventurer but that also isn't goto.

Archived