Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C11 SCT VX GOTO or Not?

Hi Guys and Girls,

I value your opinions so here goes.  I am looking to upgrade my skywatcher 150P - EQ3-2. Although I am happy with the results I have had, I would like to produce larger images.

I am deffinaely looking for a GOTO and like the look of the VX as I wont need Polaris to align (Hidden by summer house).

2k Max budget and looking for new (personal pref)

Is the C11 Overkill? I get the feeling there is no such thing with astronomy.

Any other sugestions would be welcomed.

Clear Skies

Brian

The NEQ6, AZ-EQ6-GT both have Polar Align option in the handset that will use any star from a large selection, but if your after guiding a C11 i would look at spending 3 times as much on a mount as the cost of a new C11, its a long focal length and requires a very good mount to guide it...a AZ-EQ6-GT with a 200-250 PDS would come in around 2k, a Refractor at 400-500 pounds would do as well but beware of the add-on's....:)

Can you be more precise on what you mean by 'larger' images.  For example do you mean you want small objects to appear large?  As Tinker says imaging at long focal lengths is tough if that is what you are suggesting.  I do try it sometimes with my C9.25".  By the way, my HEQ5 pro Polar Aligns without the Polestar so don't limit your choices with that in mind.

Have you played with this website?

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

With the C11 (The Edge HD is better for imaging) I'd be looking at a Mesu 200 and OAG or dual chip cam. That's £5k for the mount plus however much for the cam / OAG and the 'scope on top. The C11 is a seriously long FL.

Are you looking at just lunar / planetary or do you want to do DSO as well?

Yes Lunar / Planetery and would like DSO as well.  Unreasonable for 2K?  If I went for the Edge HD I could only afford the 8" Would that still be better than the C11. I am sorry, I understand these are noob questions. 

The thing is, DSO and planetary imaging have such different requirements as to need two separate systems.

The telescope that Steve has linked to would be fine for visual or planetary imaging but hopeless (Despite its cost) for DSOs where long guided exposures are needed, unless you put it on a seriously expensive wedge which would still be a huge compromise.

If you haven't got it already get a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards, steppenwolf of this forum from FLO books section. Read it twice and have a long hard think about where you want your imaging to go before spending a penny more.

Love that link as well. That helps a lot.

So decide what focal length you would like from the link, make a range using a suitable reducer then choose the scope.  Doing it the other way round is probably not best informed.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/cpc-deluxe-hd/celestron-cpc-deluxe-800-hd.html

I sold my C11 & bought this.I don't do DSO imaging.Just planetary &

lunar imaging.So much easier, to set up & use.The optics, are way in front

of the C11.Worth the extra £500 more, than the basic CPC 800.

Steve

DSO imaging, is so involved. You really need, an

obsey, to be able to get the best out of it.

I would not know, were to start.That is why

I went down the route I did.I still have lots

of fun doing it.

Steve

A note of caution with the HD SCT scopes....

There is a very limited supply of reducers which work with these systems....and they don't come cheap.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/edge-hd-series/celestron-reducer-lens-7x-edgehd-800.html

As you say,a lot of dosh.That is what you get, for buying  

a scope, with corrective optics.At f10 & a f/l of 2000, it is

ideal for planetary  & lunar imaging. No good, for DSO

imaging. Horses for courses.

Steve

Even with the 0.7 reducer you're still looking at over 1400 mm FL. Good for smal galaxies but not wider field subjects. You'll probably need an OAG or dual-chip camera and a serious mount with as little backlash as possible, Avalon Liner fast-reverse or Mesu 200 I should think.

Any way up it will take a load of dosh.

Dave,

I've been using a C11 at f10 on a NEQ6pro for the past few years doing spectroscopy.

This demands that the target star image be placed and held on a 29 micron gap indefinitely.

I can easily manage 20 min subs with AA5 guiding.

Archived