Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

In dark sky reserve, <£100 starter scope?

I'd think saving up for 130P is a much better choice than buying the 100P now.

The 100P is f4, it's more difficult to get satisfactory collimation than the f5 130P and it's MUCH harder on eyepieces than f5 scopes, you are likely needing to spend more money on one single eyepiece to get a good low power view.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I was just about settled on the 100p after the advice from First Light Optics, but you guys are throwing me back towards the 130p!

One of the primary factors I've decided on is simplicity of use -- I'd rather the scope be ready to go, than to have a pair of novice 60-somethings out on a cold night for 20-30mins fiddling with dials for collimation before they get going. If the primary mirror in the 100p is already collimated and only requires movement of the secondary mirror if out, surely it's simpler to do? Because the scope will be used in a dark sky reserve, I feel the aperture of the 130p compare to the 100p won't add that much to the viewing. With a barlow, the 100p also has more flexibility in the viewing experience. Please correct me if you feel any of my assertions are wrong. All this research is really pushing me towards picking up this hobby :).

I must say, I'm very surprised and impressed by the community in this forum -- the activity and willingness to help. Many thanks, again!

I totally agree with you that simplicity of use is of vey high importance for bbeginners, and that's the reason 130P is better than 100P, IMHO.

You will need to check a dobsonian's collimation from time to time, if not every time before use, and a f4 scope has very small spot for good enough collimation, therefore it's also much easier to get out of collimation betwwen use.

An out-of-collimation newtonian is not fun to view through.

Aberations like coma(comatic-shaped stars) and astigmatism(stretched stars) grow fast when focal ratio drops. comparing to a f5 scope, f4 scope will show 25% more astigmatism, and 56% more coma, and 94% more spherical aberation(unsharped stars).

Besides, heritage 130P has been on market for some years with fairly stable quality level, while the just-introduced 100P has yet to prove its quality.

Edit:

I should add "every thing else equal" to the aberation changes casued by the focal ratio change. In real world, the 100p with a more difficult key component (more curved mirror) has more difficulty in fulfilling this assumption.

Ah, I see, YKSE. I guess this will just come down to a decision on budget with the other half :)

I believe the 100p advertised is just an Orion Skyscanner 100p (which certainly is highly rated) with a new sticker on it: http://www.telescope.com/Orion-SkyScanner-100mm-TableTop-Reflector-Telescope/p/102007.uts

I'll be sure to post a photo of us / the scope we choose in the coming weeks!

I'd think saving up for 130P is a much better choice than buying the 100P now.

The 100P is f4, it's more difficult to get satisfactory collimation than the f5 130P and it's MUCH harder on eyepieces than f5 scopes, you are likely needing to spend more money on one single eyepiece to get a good low power view.

My 100p arrived perfectly collimated to my amazement at f/4 ! I believe Baz's 100p did also. The primary is fixed solid so you can't adjust it, any collimation would purely be from the secondary so similar to an SCT.

I wouldn't worry about collimation with these scopes which is something I wouldn't have said before owning one ! :)

Best 89 pounds you can pay for a scope if you ask me.

However, the more aperture you have the brighter faint objects will be so if you can up your budget a bit a 130p would be better.

My 100p arrived perfectly collimated to my amazement at f/4 ! I believe Baz's 100p did also. The primary is fixed solid so you can't adjust it, any collimation would purely be from the secondary so similar to an SCT.

I wouldn't worry about collimation with these scopes which is something I wouldn't have said before owning one ! :)

I'm glad to hear that collimation is not an issue. really good to know.

the problem is that everyone has their own personal opinions on a variety of scopes but if you have no knowledge of the subject then this is the right place to ask, it what i did and cannot complain..the thing is...when someone asks about getting a telescope from the choice of one or two deifferent scopes..they usually get something totally different by the end of the thread lol...enjoy it when you get it!

Another vote for the 100p. And mine also came perfectly collimated. I've had the heritage 130p and I didn't like the helical focuser at all,and the constant need for some sort of table/chair to elevate it.Plonking it on the floor didn't work for me at all.

The 100p can be tripod mounted which is a real bonus. Also, it looks nice sat on my kitchen table :)

Another poster mentioned binoculars, which I think is also a good idea. I wouldn't be without my 8x40 opticrons.

Regards

John

The 130p comes off the base and can be tripod mounted and the whole lot I have seen a member had mounted on a tripod. Have even seen an image of it mounted on a virtuoso electronic mount. I plonk mine on a bucket. I guess though it is a bit tall to use if it were on a garden table for all elevations while seated.

Agree re focuser it would be sweet if it were changed to a r&p.

Should have mentioned that the 100p dob mount has a dedicated 1/4 tripod bush. This clinched it for me. Its brilliant on my horizon tripod. The whole thing can be picked up and carried one handed quite easily.

Did I mention I really like this set up? :)

Archived