Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storing a 200P Dobsonian.

I store most of my scopes at some time or other in the garage. I would not leave it on the ground for risk of ingress of water to the garage and to limit the number of creepy crawlies that may get into it. Also means that i do not need to wait for scopes to cool before use :grin: How long are you planning on storing it? Just between uses? It'll be fine. Just throw a sheet or similar over it to prevent it collecting dust. Despite what some say, scopes are far more robust than they are given credit for.

Ian

I keep all my scopes in my garage, I use a shower cap on each end to make sure that no spiders can get in and have a fabric cover to keep the dust out. This is presuming your garage (like most) is not used for cars and is dry and water tight. You will find storing outside is better because its always cool and when you put it away it does not dew up as much as when you take a cold scope into a warm house.

If your garage is wet then you may want to stick with your plastic bag and moisture crystals.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't expect such a quick response - don't you have beds to go to?

My garage is as dry as most garages, the only way damp air could get in is around the edges of the up-and-over door. It seems I might be obsessing a bit with my idea of desiccant crystals, would you agree? I will look to buying the Green Witch cover later, but for now I like the shower caps and dust sheet solution!

Neil.

Keep my 200P in the kitchen and it's far more important than my wife.....although to be fair we did divorce about 17 years ago, long before I got into astonomy. On a slightly more serious note, I keep the scope covered but it's really handy for popping out in the back yard when I don't have the time to set up my C8/AVX mount. A good incentive for learning my way around the night sky :-D

I am thinking a dob might be a future purchase, but storage has always been a problem, however i have a outside celler with 2 small rooms (plus a damp underhouse celler) this might be okay for a dob

Dobs really don't take up a lot of room. Depending on which one you get, they only have a footprint of 2ft x 2ft. That a lot less than a tripod extended.

Ian

Archived