Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying a telescope for my other half PLEASE HELP!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moon filters are not 'essential accessories'. There is always going to be the "Yes!" camp and the "No!" camp. If you are like me and you suffer from severe headaches then probably, "Yes! get one." I use either a 'variable' or 'fixed' depending on the phase. Sometimes the weaker ones are useful when observing the phases of Venus too.

Hi thanks for your response i had looked at the dobsonian ones as well but because they dont come on a tripod and are just based on a swivel stand i feel this wont be good enough for him to use.

Any other ideas?

If he never used a scope before how would he know whats a good or bad scope mount ,a tripod some times is more hassle thans it's worth and requires a lot of first time set up ,in what way would a,dobsonian mounted scope not be good enough?

Pat

Great choice of scope, he'll have loads of fun (and hopefully you will too :wink:)

Another vote for Turn Left at Orion, or Nightwatch is great too.  For the Moon, you could also try downloading Virtual Moon Atlas.

Helen

I should give him the money for telescope buying only.............. or returned. Half the enjoyment of buying something is looking around finding out which is best/best value etc.

That's one view, but also I think someone having really thought about what you might like, done the research and bought as a surprise is special too :grin:

Helen

Yes, I had second thoughts after writing my suggestion. Exactly, you've done your research and it'll probably turn out to be just right by the sounds of it. It could maybe be slightly wrong but it doesn't matter, everyone gets slightly wrong presents for Christmas  but it's certainly worth it. Good luck with your choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys n' gals,

I'm possibly going to get flamed here for what I'm about to say, but I have thought about this and hope I'm doing the right thing. Many apologies to Starryeyed, just in case!

I sent Starryeyed (the OP for those that have lost track) a PM concerning this thread and the response I got was friendly, but disappointed. In a nutshell the OP is very disappointed with the scope and says it is the worst present that could have been bought.

As one of the people that advised on buying the scope I feel a little responsible, and feel that as a community we could help out. I bought the same scope and am very happy with it.

As a relative noob I think it would be better if some of the more experienced among us got involved - so, Starryeyed, if you are reading this could you please post a response listing your reasons for disappointment, I am positive you will be deluged with lots of help to convince you that you made the right decision!

Neil

You cant accept any blame! We only give advice. You like your scope, starryeyed doesnt. Thats life, whats right for some folk, wont work for others.

That said, there is no suggestion yet as to what went wrong and why? So we will wait in anticipation, and hopefully can find a solution to any problem?

Archived