Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier Objects For February.

Greg

The Messier objects are my favourites.

To assist members of the forum locate these fascinating objects I have put together this compilation to assist you for the twelve months of the year, starting with February.

If I receive no feedback I wont bother with March!! - I KID YOU NOT.. :nono:

February highlights 10 Messier Objects, most are within reach of binoculars. and over half can be seen with the naked eye in a dark location. There are co-ordinates and a Starry Night pic to assist you in locating the object. Apart from visiting your location, showing them to you and cooking you dinner (Which I can do - at a price!!) You should be able to find them.

Numero Uno!!!!

M1 - NGC#1952 Crab Nebula RA 05 34.05 DEC 22 01 Constellation Taurus Mag 9

The Crab Nebula is a supernova remnant in Taurus. It is a hazy patch in small telescopes, large scopes can resolve some detail. it is difficult but possible to see in binoculars

image.jpg

M35 NGC#2168 Open Cluster

RA 06 08.09 Dec 24 20 Constellation Gemini Mag 5

A series of open clusters in the Milky Way. M35 in Gemini, thwe others are in Auriga. All can be seen in the naked eye as faint fuzzy stars, bino's reveal fuzzy patches, low power telescopes can resolve these rich clusters.

image.jpg

M42

This is my favourite.

The Great Orion Nebula. Can be seen as a small fuzzy patch to the naked eye. Binoculars show some detail, the view is superb in any scope. M43 is a small region of nebulosity next to M42, requires a telescope to view. Use low to moderate powers for the best view of this pair.

image.jpg

M45 NGC#1432 The Pleiades (Steve's favourite!!) RA 03 47 .0 DEC 24 07 Const Taurus Mag 1

The Pleides are a large open cluster in Taurus. Easy to resolve six stars to the naked eye. Binoculars provide the best view. Large telescopes can show nebulosity..

image.jpg

Greg, I managed to get my telescope out last night and had a good look at M42, was going to ask a question about the stars i saw in the middle. After reading you post i no longer haev to! So thanks, cant wait to have a try at find the other objects and seeing whats around in March.

Also just realsied i saw M43 and didnt even realise!

Thanks

Fantastic. The most helpful thing I have seen on this forum or anywhere in my short star gazing career (and I have received lots of useful advice). What I find most useful is the way you have shown how the objects lie in relation to their neighbours. This will help novices like me a lot.

Thanks Greg. Must have taken hours.

Martin

Archived