Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The theory behind Flats?

@olly

hete's the last image i took plonked in fits liberator to show the vignette

swordhandle_zps099c6cca.jpg

and here's what i got when i tried to make flats with APT. now, i know there's a dust bunny in the top right corner, but there's nothing in the 'flat'

IMG_7064_zps8dec7a86.jpg

something's very wrong....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that flat is simply wrong and clearly has not succeeded in replicating conditions applying to the capture of the lights. As I say, I've had simlilar experiences. You'll need a complete rethink on how to shoot flats, starting over from scratch.

Olly

I know Olly doesn't like them, but I recommend 1-2 sec exposures of the twilight sky, especially if you are imaging at long focal lengths (where real gradients in the sky don't cause a problem).

NigelM

I just find them hard to get right! I know they work a treat for most people.

You have to watch for light leaks on manual filterwheels and Newts, though.

Olly

Do you cover the mirror end of the scope when taking the flats to make sure there is no light leaking in down there?

edit:

any light leaking around the focuser?

shiney drawtube?

No leaks as far as i can tell.. the ota was sat on a folded towel and the panel i use was mounted on a wooden ring that fits ont the end of the ota. I sprayed the drawtube with blackboard paint so, apart from where the bearings roll, it's internally, completely matt.

@olly, i think i may need to invest in a proper A3 EL panel.

No leaks as far as i can tell.. the ota was sat on a folded towel and the panel i use was mounted on a wooden ring that fits ont the end of the ota. I sprayed the drawtube with blackboard paint so, apart from where the bearings roll, it's internally, completely matt.

@olly, i think i may need to invest in a proper A3 EL panel.

Beware of 'completely matt.' It may not be, though I don't know. This is interesting; https://www.sbig.com/about-us/blog/flat-fields-the-ugly-truth/

Personally I don't think that's the problem because I've had your kind of bad flat and sorted it without any repainting. I just changed the system completely. I don't know what I do to make them work but for me doing flats in the dark seems to be essential. I'd love to know why...

Olly

I do think some of the issues with light panels is that the light is very directional i used to do a lot of precision measurement of colour and luminance related to the aerospace and defence industry some of this involved simulating ambient light and its effect on the colour of a display the results indicated that to create a true flat white field it was necessary to bounce the light source off a precision reflective plaque ensuring that there was no direct path to the spectral photometer.

The practical soulution for the amateur would be a diffuser (white T shirt or similar ovet the panel as Steve suggested) or using the panel light indirectly bounced off a painted wall or target.

Alan

This might be a daft suggestion, but what happens when you take a dark with the camera attached to the scope? Do you get any light leak? This test would tell you if there is any stray light in your system.

here's a 240s dark taken a few days before that 'flat'. gave it a good stretch and it looks just fine to me so i'm sure there's no leaks in the ota.

240sdark_zpsf3deefdd.png

Archived