Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help with my Celestron C9.25 SGT

I have a Celestron C9.25 SGT goto and the I have had a few problems getting it aligned.  I have sorted out one of them which was my fault!  I need to buy a polarscope for it as I wasn't setting up the mount accurately enough.

My other problem is the finder scope.  Well its useless.  Every time I take it out of the box the finderscope has moved within the rings that's holding it.  So I need to re-align it every time with the scope before I use it.  Sometimes this is not ideal depending on the situation.  So I have decided to replace the finderscope but I was wondering if anybody has any ideas what to replace it with?  

Any help appreciated, Colin.

I am more of a fan of the classical Telrad. Does not suffer so much from parallax effect as the Rigel, its batteries last forever (3 years for me and still going strong) and there are a multitude of guides and maps with telrad markings on them.

OTOH, a Telrad is much bigger than a Rigel, but it is much better constructed.

I tried both and found the Telrad to be the better choice.

Following advice in here I quickly ditched the finder that came with the SCT -- not up to the standard of the scope in my opinion. I now use a Telrad with a 2" riser and find it great for aligning. And, as others have said, the batteries last for ever even if you forget to switch if off, which I do frequently.

kerry 

I have kept the original finder. I only use it to align with. After that, the go to does the rest. I have had a wooden box made for my OTA and use the foam packaging from the original box. I have cut a space out to allow the OTA to fit in with the finder attached. It has never been re-aligned in 3 years.

First thing I did on my C8 was changing the finder. I put a Baader finder shoe on the scope and found a RACI finder. Best accessory together with my new Berlebach observation chair :)

Gone are the days when I had to kneel down and crank my neck to find something overhead.

Archived