NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help needed.. eq3/eq5

dobbie

Hi all , I am wanting a med load mount but not a goto , but want to track this is for visual only , am I right in thinking that I could use a eq3/eq5 to manually move the scope to a object then engage a ra motor to track or am I completely wrong in my thinking .

Yes, that would work fine. Just polar align (doesn't have to be very precise for visual), unclutch to find your target, engage the clutches and turn on the RA motor. For fine adjustment you can use a slow motion control on the DEC axis, while the RA motor control will have reverse and usually 2x/8x speed controls. You can't use a manual slow motion control in RA while the RA motor is attached.

You'd also need to check the max payload of the mount against whatever scope you want to put on it.

You'd also need to check the max payload of the mount against whatever scope you want to put on it.

Very much so.  The EQ3-2 can get very wobbly even with relatively small scopes on board.  It's not generally a problem once you've found the target and got focused, but it can be a pain when focusing unless you have a motorised focuser.  I'd have thought your 80mm ED would be ok.  Not sure about the 100mm though.

James

Thanks jules, yes it's the new star wave acro from altair astro 100mm f/11 , I am going back to refractors, they like my eyes , better then reflectors/sct , etc.. I am picking up a eq5 today so by Mon I should be sorted, John.

Archived