NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nebula issues.

Matt I

Good evening all. I'm having real issues finding nebula with my SW 200p. I do most of my observing from LP Bristol but have only managed the usual suspects ie M42 and M57. The LP can't be that bad as I have no issues finding galaxies and observe from my balcony and manage to block a lot of light out with wooden panels I have. I also use the recommended filters but still no good and I know I'm looking at the right part of they sky eg The North American nebula. Any hints or tips would be much appreciated :-)

I live in Solihull about 6 miles from birmingham city centre with what I think are fairly average suburban skies. I have no hope of seeing the north america nebula from here. It is a large diffuse nebula so the surface brightness is pretty low. Yes 8 inches is enough the that nebula but only with good seeing and at least a rural sky. Just my thoughts, likely to be proved wrong  :cool:

Dark skies are certainly key to the NA nebula. Another thing to be aware if is field of view. It is a large object so it's easy to end up looking 'through' it rather than at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M27, the Dumbell Nebula is a large and bright planetary nebula. It's in Vulpecula below the "Head" end of Cygnus. It's much larger than the Ring Nebula and can be picked up in an 8x50 finder. It lookes pretty good in an 8" scope and even better with a UHC or O-III filter.

I'd also suggest the Veil and Owl nebulae with such filters but darker skies help with those.

The NA nebula can be very elusive. It took me years to see it and even then it was only a small portion of it.

The NA nebula is not an easy target. Yet it is. "What?" I hear you say.

From a very dark sky it can be seen with the unaided eye. Yes, it's huge.

From LP skies it fades into the background very easily.

To locate it. The most effective filter is an O-III, a UHC may work but it isn't as good on this object as you need contrast and an O-III gives you the most. Use your widest possible field eyepiece or better still binoculars or your finder scope. Use your filter ( in front of the eyepiece if using your finder) and the nebula should 'pop'

Remember you are looking for something extremely diffuse, a slight brightening of the sky background will signal you've found it. Once located, one can trace the coastline, with a bit of practice.

The darker your sky the higher your chance of success. As said from very dark places this is ridiculously simple. One just looks up.

From moderate skies you will need a filter. From LP skies choose another target.

Good hunting.

Archived