Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

prime focus photography

mak90fan

Hi. I have had success imaging the moon using my Canon 300d dslr at prime focus: Scope to T-ring to Camera body. so now, how can i increase the magnification for close up shots of the moon? I guess i am missing something that is obvious or has a price tag attached :) Thanks for any advice...

For the moon and planets you could use a 2x barlow, it comes with greater magnifications too.

but maybe it messes with your focus distance, what is your telescope? i'm still a beginner too(can't even say a beginner :) ).

other people here may give better advice with more information about your rig.

You don't really get magnification with imaging but that's being pedantic as I know what you're getting at. Focal length and sensor size is what determines how 'close up' your shots will be i.e. how many pixels a particular detail will be spread across and how many of the details the whole image contains. A barlow would have this kind of 'magnifying' effect, a standard skywatcher one is T-Threaded so might be handy.

The image will be less bright with a barlow but on the moon this should not present a problem. If you already have one with your scope it is at least a cheap way to have a play!

If you want to investigate focal length and sensor size more, this link is useful http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

cheers

Chris

Hi. I have had success imaging the moon using my Canon 300d dslr at prime focus: Scope to T-ring to Camera body. so now, how can i increase the magnification for close up shots of the moon? I guess i am missing something that is obvious or has a price tag attached :) Thanks for any advice...

What scope are you attaching your camera to? Will help people to give you an informed reply

I use this one http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/93310/Show.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=Celestron%201.25%22%20Universal%20Barlow%20and%20T-Adaptor%20&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyrqgBRDepamt-LWA2oABEiQAV7nwwB-V2HS8o1m436IAoM1tfDaa60vVzAq7gYgeC7aEJsMaAqI28P8HAQ

I managed to pick one up on ebay for £12, there not the greatest bit of kit on the planet but if you just want it for lunar photography you wont get better bang for your buck.

Wow fast responses,thanks. I have a Skywatcher Mak90 (purchased at only 6months old for..£50 inc pentax bins!... some folk have no idea). I will give the barlow idea a go having just checked and the t-ring fits fine...any other hints and tips welcome. Last question...if the image appears dull/faded in tge view finder would a high ISO help? Thankyou

Wow fast responses,thanks. I have a Skywatcher Mak90 (purchased at only 6months old for..£50 inc pentax bins!... some folk have no idea). I will give the barlow idea a go having just checked and the t-ring fits fine...any other hints and tips welcome. Last question...if the image appears dull/faded in tge view finder would a high ISO help? Thankyou

Short answer,,,NO...

Re iso, trial and error. Do test shots at various iso.

If the image is too dark, i'd recommend using a slower shutter speed. As the f/ is fixed (the f/ of the mak 90), the only other ways of "brightening" the image is to use a higher iso (but runs the risk of amplifying all the noise ypu don't want as well as the "data" you do), or taking longer expoaures (risk of movement artefact, but with the full moon i suspect you will get bright enough images between 1/1000 to 1/100th - again trail and error, see what works.

I'd say stick at iso 400 and alter your [removed word] speed to get the desire exposure (brightness).

Good luck and show us your results.

James

Once i have some definitive results i will record settings and equipment etc and post the photos on here. Thanks again everyone... your advice has really helped ;)

Don't think a 2X barlow will give you the close ups you want but it will help.

I think a mak90 with a canon cropped sensor will frame a full moon quite nicely. I think a 2x barlow may mean one can't get the whole moon on the sensor.

I'd say don't rusk to use a barlow, sort out your settings and techniques with just the dslr on the mak to start with. As with increasing the iso, a barlow will also amplify all the imperfections as well as the good data you want.

Good luck

James

@mak90fan I got very lucky with my £12 posted bargain :)

you can still get a pic of the whole moon using a barlow by taking lots of pics all over the moon and stitching them together with microsoft ice.

here is one I did last night made up of 23 close up pics through my barlow:

10600395_10152474902057885_8586895816527

Oh i just remembered with the barlow you have (I think) you can unscrew and remove the black section on the bottom and you have different magnification (cant remember what off the top of my head something like 0.7x) so its worth giving that a try too, gives you a 3rd option

Archived