Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew control mistake!

I've dropped a few clangers in my progress through this wonderful hobby and always learnt from them. With most of them I should have known better and with a bit more thought could perhaps have avoided them.

However - there is no way that I could have predicted this one:

I have a 2 channel controller for various dew control attachments. Until recently I only used it for the SCT set up and I taped it to a tripod leg because I trod on the previous one (mistake no. 32). Having fitted a heater to the Dob secondary I needed a controller for that and rather than buy another one I thought I would just transfer the controller from one set up to the other. But - how to avoid mistake number 32? Brainwave - I taped a small magnet to the controller case and this would keep it out of harm's way - either on the tripod or on the Dob's tube. All went well at first but after a few sessions I noticed that one of the red LEDs was behaving strangely and the controller seemed to be a bit 'warm' - and so I had a look at the controller in the daylight. Shock horror! The side of plastic case nearest to the magnet had begun to melt! I opened it up and looked inside and it was clear that some wires inside had got very hot . Luckily I have managed to disconnect one 'channel' and the other seems to be working OK. Needless to say I've removed the magnet.

Now, maybe some of you electronic boffins out there in SGL land could have told me that a magnet would play havoc with the circuitry but I plead not guilty to the charge of stupidity in this particular case. 

So, my friends, don't go fixing magnets to your dew heater controllers! 

Don't go fixing magnets to anything electronic they create electromagnetic induction causing all sorts of problems like rise in power, overheating, reduced resistance etc Feel free to correct me as it's a long, long time ago I did my O level physics.

Archived