Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

red spot

markenroj

Very, very low in the morning sky. You will need a very good eastern horizon. And the view will be quite mushy due to be low down in the rubbish atmosphere. Sadly Jupiter doesn't improve much throughout the whole of 2008. A poor year for Jupiter. And ditto for 2009. Jupiter starts making a proper return in 2010 and will be majestic in 2011 :D

Russ

Cheer up, your 130 should be capable of good views on Saturn at 200x. Could be the eyepieces or just a quick tweak on the collimation.

Russ

If you have done above, you will still have to contend with the "seeing", but persevere and you will be pleasantly surprised when the seeing is good, can last from seconds to minutes, so stick with it.

They will appear small in your scope, even at 200X, but you will be surprised how much detail you can see in the right conditions.

naz

Hi Markenroj

If you download the program from www.stellarium.org you can find out when Jupiter will rise in your location. It's about 0600 at the moment in the south-east - looks like a star all by itself. You have about 10 minutes before the rising sun wipes out most of the contrast.

Even though it's not going to be good for a year or two why not have a look anyway? With your telescope you should be able to see a shiny ball-bearing with four tiny moons around it. Each day their configuration will be different, if you search on the web there is a program which shows you how they move. The old astronomers calculated tables of the moons movements in the hope they could be used to compute a ship's longitude.

Seeing is a problem as you are looking low in the horizon but there are clear moments, and you might be able to see the bands on the planet. Either way it is a more rewarding subject than Mars in my opinion. Sadly with most amateur telescopes you are never going to see a huge image of Jupiter like in the photographs, but as others have said - the more you look the more you see.

AG

have got a 2x barlow a cheap sr 4mm the 10 and 25mm that came with it. how would you know if it needs collumating ?

wow my scope is same as yours and only has the barlow and the 10 and 25mm eps that came with it, if you have a 4mm eypiece as well you should get a great view of saturn.

i think that my saturn i have seen is great and i only have the barlow and 10mm as i said.

Archived