NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED80 Focuser suggestions ??

I want to upgrade the focuser on my ED80 and when I started looking into it the Baader Steeltrack seemed to be the best value for money - so I go to place my order and its a discontinued item !!

Any suggestions ???  The Moonlite is quite a bit more expensive and is a bit 'blingy' for my tastes.

Any alternatives ?? It will have an Atik 314l+ and a USB filter wheel and a FF/FR hanging off the end.

Its a bit of a long debate when it come to focusers and this scope, Personally id get a Feathertouch 2 inch crayford with 2.5" drawtube, however this is not far off the price of the scope, I did it in the past.

If you get a cosmetic second direct from there website its worth considering. you will also need the adapter for the OTA.

The steeltrack was regarded as good, id look out for a used one on ABS they are not uncommon.

Baader still probably makes the steeltrack but as an OEM and it is branded under many other names.

Check this one on Teleskop Express:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7003_TS-2--ACU-kurzbauender-Crayford-Auszug-fuer-Refraktor-Teleskope-mit-Edelstahl-Lauff.html

I have it on my Skywatcher 120mm f5 and also the Newtonian version of it on my Dob. Couldn't be happier!

Baader have allegedly been going to replace the Steeltrack for some time.  "Early 2014" was what they were saying about this time last year, as I recall.  It's turning into a repeat of the "BGO replacement" story that they had a couple of years back.  I particularly like the design that includes a motor drive gear on the slow speed knob.

That first TS one looks near-identical.

James

I upgraded my ED80 with a TS R&P focuser. Absolutely superb. You could hang a tank off it.

TS R&P technical specifications:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5769_TS-2-5--Rack-and-Pinion-Focuser---holds-Acc--up-to-6kg---travel-80mm.html

Steve

Had this on a previous scope marketed by Stellarvue. It is a very sold focuser and very smooth. Between this and the other TS focuser I would prefer this one for imaging and the other one for visual only.

Archived