Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alt azimuth mount for 5inch refractor?

Piperscotty

Hi,

I have an Astrophysics 5inch refractor and would like to get a portable alt - azimuth mount for taking to star parties. Does anyone know if the is a good sturdy alt azimuth mount available that would hold this scope? I was thinking of something like the Televue Gibraltar but Televue have informed me that the clamshell for their 127 model would not fit. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Stephen / 'Piperscotty' and welcome to SGL.

I too was going suggest a TeleOptic Ercole. You may get away with their Giro DX-lll, but check first. AYO's have a loyal following too. There are other manufacturers who also make 'Giro' mounts, but I am unsure of their handling capacity.  

I would certainly agree with the suggestion of an Ercole. I have one myself for a variety of scopes but it will handle my f9 150mm quite happily.

213a3849d80f8401605c14fb7ac31ae2.jpg

Also look at the AYODigi, it's a bigger beast and I guess more expensive because of the in built encoders but it will handle the weight no problem

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that Tele Optic were intending to release an encoder set up for the Ercole using a tablet with an app like Sky Safari for Push To control but the expectation was for the launch in H1 2014 and I still have not seen it so not sure where it stands.

Or how about something completely different...

An all CNC machined, hand built, encoder equipped (optional), lightweight mount that would easily carry your scope - above the centreline rather than off to one side - allowing the use of a lighter tripod: a Half Hitch Telescope FTX

www.halfHItchtelescope.com

I have it's big brother and couldn't be happier.

Join the Yahoo group and email Charles with any queries.

You could switch out the Sky Commander/Argo Navis DSCs and add a NEXUS WiFi unit to link it to a modern 'digital planetarium' if that's something you desire as well.

Choices, choices hey!

Damian

post-4105-0-21795800-1409845450_thumb.jp

post-4105-0-91719900-1409845454_thumb.jp

post-4105-0-75296300-1409845458_thumb.jp

Hi Rob,

I saw your post re the new 'toy'!  :laugh:

:icon_santa: Christmas came early to Derby then, hey! So you're responsible for all this bad weather!

The WO132 looks fantastic on it (and the C8 HD), we'll have to get together at some stage and do a joint observing session....

**NOT** my TEC140 though in the pics above (riding an FTX) - took them off the HalfHitch website to illustrate the post as most reading this won't be aware of this option.

Just thought it might help Stephen (the thread originator) with an idea of scale as he mentioned a similar sized 130mm refractor....

I'm using my TSA102 on the bigger Nova for now, whilst Yuri builds the next batch for delivery for Jan/Feb 2015 (deposit paid) - thankfully, my 'observing buddy' is buying the Tak, so my 'baby' won't be going too far!

Enjoy the new mount... clear skies,

Damian

post-4105-0-07804500-1409867460.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who offered advice. It looks as though I have plenty of options.

I have already been in touch with Tele-Optic, the agents for The Ercole who inform me that they are introducing another range of mounts that I should also consider. I will post again once I have made the difficult decision!

Best wishes,

Stephen

Archived