NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Frustrated

Finders are or can be a problem.

Quite a few people do not get on with an RDF, you do not look at an RDF and it seems that is problematic.

Right angle finders are still a small scope and can show more stars then the eye sees and cause confusion.

Many find straight through finders difficult, although a friend has one on a dobsonian and simply lays his head on the OTA and lines things up immediatley.

Laser finders simply use a GLP in a cradle to sort of point the way. Hiccup may be that if the object is not visible to the eye then they do not collect light.

I use a straight through viewfinder on my dob and use the top center adjust screw/nob of the finder scope ( laying head on OTA)  to get me roughly into the neighborhood . Then use the finderscope to zero in.

Im awaiting a larger scope and plan on using a Telerad along with the RACI.

Spar~

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not used a 130, but from what I can see I wouldn't have thought it would be that over-the-top. The larger the finder, the more you can see obviously, if like me you observe from a moderately light-polluted suburban environment, then being able to see more fainter stars in the finder aids star-hopping no end...your other choice would be a 6x30 I think, wouldn't it? Maybe somone else can comment on the differences but since my 200P came with a 9x50 I wouldn't go any lower personally...

Yeah I've been trying to decide between a telrad or Rigel and a 6x30 or 9x50. . like the idea of the 9x50 and thinking maybe the Rigel will be better suited.

Started a thread on the dilemma somewhere else on here and its very much mixed opinion.

I have the Rigel with a RACI , I would say you will be constantly frustrated with the RACI without some other finder , the Rigel gets you thereabouts and then use the RACI to get closer in more comfort than a straight through finder . Straight through finders are great on their own but keep both eyes open when using it and line the 2 dots up of your target. . . It's obvious when you try it.

I have the Rigel with a RACI , I would say you will be constantly frustrated with the RACI without some other finder , the Rigel gets you thereabouts and then use the RACI to get closer in more comfort than a straight through finder . Straight through finders are great on their own but keep both eyes open when using it and line the 2 dots up of your target. . . It's obvious when you try it.

On what size scope? So far I've just used a standard red dot finder.

I use a Rigel and 9x50 RACI finder on Skymax 127, Explorer 150P, and Skyliner 250PX. The combo works just as well with each of them. I use just the Rigel with the TV Pronto and ST80 because the focal lengths are so short that an optical finder simply isn't necessary.

I use a Rigel and 9x50 RACI finder on Skymax 127, Explorer 150P, and Skyliner 250PX. The combo works just as well with each of them. I use just the Rigel with the TV Pronto and ST80 because the focal lengths are so short that an optical finder simply isn't necessary.

Cool, think that may be the combo I'm settling on.

Tested out the Telrad for the first time last night - admittedly it was only on the moon as it was a tad cloudy, but it seems to work really well and makes lining up on the target a breeze, can't wait for a nice dark cloudless night now...

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, a Rigel Quikfinder will sort you out no end. I have a 200P and debated between this and the Telrad, and plumped for the Quikfinder and have not looked back since. I have mind mounted right at the very front of the tube exactly like this pic I found of Moonshane's: photoli0.jpg - it JUST fits ahead of the focuser on the 200P right between the focuser and finderscope. As soon as I started using it I was locating stuff VERY quickly - there's every need for both that and a finderscope though IMO to find some of the v. small objects...

Thanks for this pic - I was just about to post a thread "Where's the best place to site the quikfinder on a 200p". 

Best advice for a 9x50 finder scope on the standard Skywatcher is to align the telescope during the day onto some distant target, like a power pylon, Chimney stack or anything prominent as far away as possible. Once you have found this target, and locked the telescope to this position, now is the time to align the finder scope. At the end of exercise, you will have both the telescope and finder scope aligned to the 'same' target. Now go out at night and find your target. The simple way to align the Dobsonian is to rotate the telescope to a point below your target then raise the telescope onto the target position. This is achieved by keeping BOTH EYES OPEN when looking through the finderscope! this allows your eyes/brain to enable a much  quicker focus, and when at focus, the images quickly overlap to full alignment. 

Failing that, there are other finder scopes on the market, like the TELRAD, which you have mentioned your waiting for, but I have problems with a TELRAD! It only works for me if I wear prescription glasses? The TELRAD is good, and works a treat, but so many folk give up on their original finder scopes all too early?

That pic I found is not a Skywatcher model and on my SW 200P, the Rigel almost overlaps the open end of the tube and is not as far back as on that Orion tube. Perfectly serviceable though!

If it overlaps the open end of the tube I'll have to think again cos then I won't be able to get my solar filter on.

I use a RDF that came with the scope and then move onto the RACI to get closer. I find the red dot gets the object into the FOV of the RACI every time so I tend to just leave the red dot set where it is, but tweak the RACI every time I set up so its bang on with the scope.

I also start with a low power EP so my steps are:  Red Dot -  RACI - Scope (with low power)

Once you get the knack you can move from object to object even quicker than with Goto I find.

Stay with it and keep practicing, it will fall into place eventually.

cheers

Archived