NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

basic dslr settings question help

please be kind! 

i dont think even n00b fits my status , 

and i think iv bitten  off  more than i can chew, but iv bought these things now ( in my sig) and would love to learn how to use them properley and get the best from them

just to even understand how my camera works would be a great start ( i know nothing), i managed to take a few puctures of the moon, but was just a guess with the settings, totally random- although i do know i needed to use the M (manual)  setting 

id like to take a picture of the stars that i can see in my 25mm plossl

i attempted this last night, but the live view was black,  took a picture and was, black

im not seeing galaxys or anything, but would just like to take a picture of the stars to start me off and give me an idea

advice appreciated , if its impossible with my current set up could you please tell me what i would need

many thanks again for your pateince!

my husband is buying me D5300 for dummies for my birthday but thats not until another 3 week!

the pictures you tried last night were they Afocal (taken with the lens in) or Prime focus (camera directly connected to the scope)

also how long did you run the exposure for ??

normally Galaxy's are done at prime focus with 10 second upward exposures around 400 - 1600 ISO

With an SCT of that focal length even with that mount properly leveled and polar aligned your going to need to expose for longer lengths for faint details to come out on some of the prettier DSO objects. Sooner or later you will want to autoguide using a separate ccd camera and guidescope using a program like PHD. There is also the option of piggybacking the DSLR on the Celestron with a wideangle lens.

Hi Twinkle

Yes, the D5300 does have a bulb mode :) Do scan through the camera manual :) You need some way to trigger the shutter remotely otherwise there will be just too much vibration. Also you won't get anything much if you're not in focus. It can be useful to set the camera focus through the scope during the day using a distant object. The moon is also a useful target for focusing on. You have a complex set of kit there and it will take you a while to get familiar with it all. One step at a time is usually a good approach. I'd recommend learning how to set up your scope properly before worrying about doing AP.

Louise

I've only been looking at the sky for 4 months now, here is my personal new guy advice

Start with moon pictures, it's big and bright and you can practice on important things like focus and exposure. I almost exclusively shoot at ISO800. Moon shots usually take 1/100 or 1/200 sec, DSOs I shoot at 2-5 minutes now (started with 30 seconds). Buy or make a Bahtinov mask, it will dramatically improve your focus, and is very easy to figure out. Buy a remote shutter, eventually you are going to want to get an autoguider so you can get longer exposure times. Start with some easy DSOs when you get bored with the moon - M13 is a great one (the clusters are a great way to try new things out, lots of pinpoints to tell you what's wrong), M27 is a pretty easy nebula if you want to see some color.

Keep at it! There are a lot of small things that make a big difference that you will only learn if you try. Don't expect Hubble quality, but it's pretty fun knowing you captured that light to make your own picture

Hi . 

May I suggest the purchase of a good book on A.P. For deep sky I'd go with making every photon count, For planetary imaging I'm not sure although I'm told Damien Peach has just released a book (or is it a video?). After buying all that gear in your sig, it seems silly not to splash out another £20 on a good book :D

Good luck and enjoy yourself...thats the whole point after all.

Archived