NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choice of 3 Dobs

Hi All,

Still on the hunt for a new scope but I am now set on a Dobsonian after some good advice from SGL. I have narrowed it down to 3 I think:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p41_GSO-Dobsonian-300C---300-1500mm-Dobsonian-Telescope.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1192_GSO-Dobsonian-880---10----250-1250mm-Telescope---Deluxe.html

I'm after grab and go, the best possible views and resolution of DSO's (I would like to tick off the messier list and also sketch what I see), with a bit of planetary work on the big 3 plus the moon. I don't have stairs to worry about for moving the scope around so size shouldn't be too much of an issue. Ideally I would rather order from FLO as I have confidence in anything the sell and we all know how great their pre/after sales service is, but I'm restricted by around a £550 budget and I would like the best quality/aperture scope I can get.

Thanks All,

Peter

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is really not much to pick between these other than the additional 2" aperture although I'm not sure that a 12" dob is quite in the "grab and go" category as it's physically quite a step up from the 10" ones.

Do you have an additional budget for eyepieces too ?

Hi Peter

The skyliner is a proven performer, I've used one myself a few times, great scopes.

Have you seen these in the flesh, some people find a 10" scope enormous. Others (me included) are in the other camp and find them quite small. 

What camp you are in will be important, if your relationship with your scope is to be a happy one.

TBH I find that 12" f/5 is getting big for a grab n go as such.

Odd question but when you remove your eye from the eyepiece to sketch what you have seen I would have said that when you go back to observe for a bit more detail the object will have wandered off so you will have to drop the sketching and refind and centre the object.

It doesn't seem like a good way of sketching.

Will say I cannot draw a straight line with a ruler, never mind without one.

Also none are exactly grab and go.

Blimey, speedy responses guys cheers, I love this site :)

John, depends which scope I go for as to how much I have left for eyepieces. If it's the 12" I'm wiped clean. I currently have a Skywatcher Panaview 32mm, Hyperion 10mm and a bunch of average pieces. I'm guessing the shorter f5 ratio is going to be harder on the eyepieces?

Steve, I did wonder about the 12" being a touch too big. Only thing is I'm wondering if I'm the type that might get the 10" then constantly have that nagging thought of what would the extra 2" have given....lol! I'm a fairly big guy so should be ok lifting it around and it wouldn't be too far to carry into the back garden. What bothered me a little about the 300c is how cheap it is.

I have the GSO 300 you linked to (mine is branded Revelation, I initially thought mine was an older model but looking at the picture it's identical; the newer models are more expensive).  It's pretty good :-).  A few nights ago I was able to tease out the centre star in the ring nebula, and this from NorthWest London (although the conditions were simply superb that day I have to say).  The aperture is excellent.  I also have an 8" Skywatcher (on an HEQ5, not dobsonian).  I have looked through both to compare the same view at the same time, and the difference is pretty dramatic to be honest.

That said, I'm sure 10" will be enough for you and you won't regret having gotten those extra two inches -- it's only two inches after all, right? :-)

-simon

John, depends which scope I go for as to how much I have left for eyepieces. If it's the 12" I'm wiped clean. I currently have a Skywatcher Panaview 32mm, Hyperion 10mm and a bunch of average pieces. I'm guessing the shorter f5 ratio is going to be harder on the eyepieces?

Steve, I did wonder about the 12" being a touch too big. Only thing is I'm wondering if I'm the type that might get the 10" then constantly have that nagging thought of what would the extra 2" have given....lol! I'm a fairly big guy so should be ok lifting it around and it wouldn't be too far to carry into the back garden. What bothered me a little about the 300c is how cheap it is.

Size & weight of scopes is important if you are to be happy with your purchase, use it at every opportunity without thinking you can't stand the hassle of setting it up.

Any chance of visiting a supplier with showroom stock ?   Online advice is good, but what suits one person may not suit another.

If you are in southeast Essex, here is your local club - http://www.cpac.org.uk/  you would be most welcome.  There's also our public open night in November.  All details in the link.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks Ed. I've actually been trying to get a few people together out here in Great Wakering for some observing nights. I may try to pop along to cpac then sometime :) I notice you have an Orion 10", how do you find this? How do the main DSO's look in it (M31, M42, M51 etc)? I'm after something that will either show or begin to hint at the existence of grainy spiral arms or the fainter E and F stars in the trapezium.

Thanks Ed. I've actually been trying to get a few people together out here in Great Wakering for some observing nights. I may try to pop along to cpac then sometime :) I notice you have an Orion 10", how do you find this? How do the main DSO's look in it (M31, M42, M51 etc)? I'm after something that will either show or begin to hint at the existence of grainy spiral arms or the fainter E and F stars in the trapezium.

I'm pleased with the 10" Orion Optics, it gets used a lot, even with my light polluted Southend skies, I get great views, of course, a dark site is far better. One of the advantages of Orion Optics is a lighter tube, and a compact aluminium mount.  Nothing wrong with the mirrors in a Skywatcher, I was happy with mine, but a used and mint condition Orion Dob came up for sale from someone I know at a good price, so went for it.

No problem with many of the DSOs from home, but never seen a hint of spiral galaxy structure.  From a dark site ( my club's and also from Kelling star party ) I've seen M33 and M51 spiral structure, and two main dust lanes in M31.

From home, I've seen the E & F trapezium stars, when the skies are reasonably steady.

Next Wednesday 3rd is an informal chat and welcome back after the summer break. All welcome, free tea  :smiley:

Hope that helps, all the best, Ed.

E & F Trapezium can be seen in a 4" refractor so are no trouble in a 10" scope, once you have some experience, the conditions are good and the scope is cooled and collimated.

I've found spiral structure elusive even with my 12" dob at home. I have seen it clearly in M51 under dark skies with a 12" though.

...........that's always going to be the case. and possibly one day,  you may even look through a lesser scope under perfect conditions,  blown away with the image, and ask, did I need such a larger scope in the first place?  For observations, Aperture is the priority, and In order to get a noticeable improvement over my present 8" I would need to get me the 12" which would offer about twice the ability of the 8" but at greater cost,  also being heavier, larger, more coma ect.  Too many negatives, the list  goes on, but a brighter and larger image scale may negate the negatives and prove to be the better option. I've no intention to upgrade just yet, but the 12" solid tube Skyliner would be my next choice. Even  a 10" will offer some improvement, but the only improvement I consider at present is  for a larger image scale. But Im satisfied with what my telescope and eyepieces can achieve from my present location. The most massive improvement for any telescope is viewing from a dark site, free of any light pollution. 

Odd question but when you remove your eye from the eyepiece to sketch what you have seen I would have said that when you go back to observe for a bit more detail the object will have wandered off so you will have to drop the sketching and refind and centre the object.

It doesn't seem like a good way of sketching.

Will say I cannot draw a straight line with a ruler, never mind without one.

Also none are exactly grab and go.

I sketch with a non tracking mount using a Dob, Alt-Az, Eq and Binoculars, after a while it becomes second nature to sketch a little at a time and then re-centre the object..

Avtar

I have a Revelation 12" Dob which I keep in the Summer House in the garden.

I've fitted some 3" castors with brakes to the base and this enables me to wheel it out onto the patio in front of the Summer House.

I now class this as my grab and go scope.

Avtar

I have a Revelation 12" Dob which I keep in the Summer House in the garden.

I've fitted some 3" castors with brakes to the base and this enables me to wheel it out onto the patio in front of the Summer House.

I now class this as my grab and go scope.

Avtar

How have you found the castors?  I've just ordered some castors, but I ordered 2" diameter double wheeled ones.  It was a toss-up between those and 3" single wheeled, I decided that the double wheels (which give a total of 50mm width) might be a little more stable, and should be enough for rolling the thing around.

Yes, this is going to be my grab and go scope (right now it's a lug and go scope!).

I have the GSO 300 you linked to (mine is branded Revelation, I initially thought mine was an older model but looking at the picture it's identical; the newer models are more expensive).  It's pretty good :-).  A few nights ago I was able to tease out the centre star in the ring nebula, and this from NorthWest London (although the conditions were simply superb that day I have to say). 

that star is mag 14.8 what mag and EP was you using?

How have you found the castors?  I've just ordered some castors, but I ordered 2" diameter double wheeled ones.  It was a toss-up between those and 3" single wheeled, I decided that the double wheels (which give a total of 50mm width) might be a little more stable, and should be enough for rolling the thing around.

Yes, this is going to be my grab and go scope (right now it's a lug and go scope!).

I am very pleased with the castors as it makes it very easy to pull the Dob onto the patio.

The slabs on the patio are with a riven effect so I don't even need to put the brakes on as the scope just seems to settle on the slabs and stays where it is put and is very stable.

Avtar

I have the GSO 300 you linked to (mine is branded Revelation, I initially thought mine was an older model but looking at the picture it's identical; the newer models are more expensive).  It's pretty good :-).  A few nights ago I was able to tease out the centre star in the ring nebula, and this from NorthWest London (although the conditions were simply superb that day I have to say).  The aperture is excellent.  I also have an 8" Skywatcher (on an HEQ5, not dobsonian).  I have looked through both to compare the same view at the same time, and the difference is pretty dramatic to be honest.

That said, I'm sure 10" will be enough for you and you won't regret having gotten those extra two inches -- it's only two inches after all, right? :-)

-simon

Simon, how do you find the coma with the 300?

If you stick to 50 - 70 degree eyepieces then coma, while it will be there, might not be much of a bother to you. The wider field eyepieces show more off axis field and therefore more coma.

Like other optical issues, coma seems to bother some folks more than others.

I can't say I've noticed any coma in my 12" Dob but I usually concentrate on the centre of the field when viewing, I dare say that I would probably find coma on the edge of the field if I looked for it.

Avtar

Archived