Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do filters really increase detail?

By all means use a filter then :smiley:

Each time this comes up a range of preferences come forward and that's to be expected perhaps.

As has been posted earlier, when you increase the magnification the effective brightness reduces. I just don't find it a problem.

The sct of mine defo needs a filter but I hardly ever view the moon at high power if I want high power views I usually stckmamcamera in and view via the lap top cheating a little a think have a great week

Phat

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you need a moon filter, then you aren't using enough magnification!

Sadly our UK atmosphere doesn't always support enough magnification to get the moon below the pain threshold. That is why I love my Baarder Moon Filter. The contrast is better and the whole experience is more relaxing.

Light blue filter - I've talked myself into believing this to be an essential accessory. The truth is that gains are marginal. I bought mine off the classifieds for not very much, and quite enjoy using it to tease out a few extra details. You will get more out of choosing the right magnification for the conditions / target.

UHC & OIII Are essential for nebula.

Never used a Neodymium - what do they do?

Paul

I used an O-III to see the veil neb for 1st time the other week - wow it really helped with discerning detail and moon was up! Would definitely recommend. I just got a TS optics cheap filter wheel, so looking fwd to clear skies to try out on some other nebs.

Archived