Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two nights in a row!

DazC

After nearly three weeks of not getting out under the stars, I got two nights in a row this weekend!

22/8/14.

The double double in Lyra - something I've never looked at before. I thought it was just a double star system until I ramped up the mag. Then all of a sudden, as I refocused, I realised it was a double double! Then I remembered reading about it quite a while back (I knew there was a reason I wanted to look at it)!

NGC 7380 - Open cluster best seen with 32mm ep. With LP filter not sure if I could see a faint bit of nebulosity or not.

M31 & M32 - Seen many times before, very clear views. Best with 32mm ep.

M110 - Never found this before, looked for it loads of times but never found it. Finally bagged it! I hadn't realised how far out from the core of M31 it was or how low its surface brightness is.

C/2014 E2 Jacques - Nice view with 32mm ep. Fuzzy blob among pin sharp surrounding stars. Bigger than last time I looked at it.

Ring Nebula - Best seen with 9mm ep +2x barlow + AV. Seeing not at its best plus it was just above a neighbours house, so not much time spent on this one.

Double cluster in Cassiopeia - stands out really bright, looks amazing in the 32mm ep. One of the nicest open clusters I've seen (or should I say two of).

That brought an end to that session.

23/8/14

Whirlpool galaxy - Just above neighbours house, just after sunset! No surprise then, no structure visible, just a large and a small fuzzy.

C47 - very small globular cluster. Nearly missed it with the 32mm ep. Best seen with 9mm + 2x Barlow + AV. Still a very small fuzzy ball!

M56 - Globular cluster in Lyra, seen many times before. Seeing still not great. Best with 7mm ep, 9mm +2x Barlow was a bit too much.

M71 - Globular Cluster in Sagitta. Pretty ordinery for a GC, best seen with 9mmep.

Dumbbell Nebula - very clear and bright with 32mm ep. Best views with 9mm and 7mm EPs. Tried 9mm + 2x Barlow but too much mag.

Neptune - Found with 32mm, showed definite disk, blueish in colour. 20, 9, 7, and 7mm +2x barlow just made the disk a bit bigger! No detail unsurprisingly!

Uranus - 32mm definite disk. 20 mm showed a bigger disk with a greenish hue. 9mm, bigger disk, brighter green. 7mm best view, crisp disk. 7mm + 2x barlow , too much, clear disk almost white in colour.

All in all, two good nights.

Thanks for reading.

D.C

But now it is Bank Holiday Monday so it's time to get the umbrella out :clouds2:

I'm not too disappointed about the rain. I've had a good couple of nights with the scope this weekend, and besides....there's a beer festival on just down the road!!!

Enjoy the rest of your bank holiday everyone.

D.C

Archived