Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A letter from Sir Patrick

The Warthog

I sent a letter to Sir Patrick earlier this month, thanking him for the 50 years of inspiration I have had from him, and he was kind enough to send a brief and pleasant reply, which I received today.

To be honest, I am speechless with delight. He really has been my astronomical hero for all these years, through his books alone, as we don't get S@N on this side o't pond. I'll have to find a frame for it...

YOWZAH!!

Thats really nice WH and I suspect, typical of the man. It was his Observers Book of Astronomy that got me started in the 1970's and I've read many of his books since. I particularly like the ones containing short stories and anecdotes such as Fireside Astronomy - I was lucky enough to meet the man himself and get an autographed copy when it came out in 1992.

A great man and somewhat unique :D:lol: :lol:

John

Thats really nice WH and I suspect, typical of the man. It was his Observers Book of Astronomy that got me started in the 1970's and I've read many of his books since. I particularly like the ones containing short stories and anecdotes such as Fireside Astronomy - I was lucky enough to meet the man himself and get an autographed copy when it came out in 1992.

A great man and somewhat unique :D:lol: :lol:

John

I will certainly treasure this letter. I have a copy of the Observer's Book, and Survey of the Moon, and Astronomer's Stars. and borrowed many from the library when I was young. I received his Boy's Book of Space for Christmas in 1956,and brought it with me to Canada in 1957. I still have it, but will have to look hard for it.

I will certainly treasure this letter. I have a copy of the Observer's Book, and Survey of the Moon, and Astronomer's Stars. and borrowed many from the library when I was young. I received his Boy's Book of Space for Christmas in 1956,and brought it with me to Canada in 1957. I still have it, but will have to look hard for it.

It's interesting how much access to books like that can influence a person at a young age and have a lasting impact. I wonder if the current generation of youngsters, growing up with access to the web, mobile phones, multi-channel media, etc, etc, will be similarly influenced :D

John

It would have been nice if you could have timed a visit to UK relatives with either the Euro Astrofest, or the refurbishment of SPM's dome WH.

Easier said than done I know, but it would be very nice for you to have had a conversasion with him.

Who know, maybe one day you will get to meet him.

Ron.

I was lucky to have meet Sir Patrick at a Eastbourne AS meeting which he was the main speaker, My wife and my self took him back home (his car had broken down) we spent a pleasant few hours with him drinking tea to the small hours of the morning he is agreat man

Stephen

Archived