Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader sky surfer III advice

Hi All

Is a Baader sky surfer III worth the extra cash over a regular clone skywatcher red dot finder ?? The reviews I have come across suggest they suffer similar dicky light switches as the cheaper alternative so in all the extra money is due to a slightly larger lens and better dew shield, not to mention half a dozen bases that will probably never get used.

I'm afraid I don't know how good that Baader finder is.

I use one of these on my refractor http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_Advanced_Red_Dot_Finder.html  and it's definitely better than cheaper options, never had an issue, there are lots of these around from different suppliers.  They are more expensive for a reason.  Of course the same money gets you a Rigel or Telrad.

I have two cheap RDFs, got fed up having to regularly take the switch apart to clean the poor contacts, and the dot doesn't go dim enough without DIY with red nail varnish over the light source.

HTH, Ed.

I've used a Skysurfer III. It's pretty much the same as the Skywatcher item but the lens is larger and seems to be better protected from dewing and the red dot is smaller and perhaps more precise because of that.

I quite liked it and would buy it over the Skywatcher if it was priced just the same somewhere but it broadly does the same job the same way so it's not worth paying too much for one.

My favourite RDF is the Rigel Quikfinder although I've a couple of the metal multi-reticule RDF finders too which do a decent job.

Thanks guys.

I had considered the MRF red dot finder but the need for an allen key for alignment put be off not to mention the largely exposed lens attracting dew. I do have a rigel QF which I use on other scopes which I really like but was looking for something a little more compact and simple.

I will have to give it some more thought as I did like the design of the Skysuffer but if the dimmer switch is no better than a cheaper alternative I don't see how they can justify the extra cost for a couple of cosmetic advantages as they are no use if the thing won't turn on if you've just travelled 50 mile to dark skies..

Thanks guys.

I had considered the MRF red dot finder but the need for an allen key for alignment put be off not to mention the largely exposed lens attracting dew.......... they are no use if the thing won't turn on if you've just travelled 50 mile to dark skies..

I'd prefer small knurled hand knobs for alignment, but I just keep the appropriate allen key in my eyepiece box, and I made a foam dewshield that works to keep dew at bay.   I also take a basic RDF as a spare just in case when observing away from home, plus a CR 2032 battery, again kept in my EP box ( belt and two pairs of braces  :smiley: )

Regards, Ed.

I had a Mk 3 and upgraded to a new Mk4 but didn't like it and went back to my Mk3. Nice controllable red dot, no dew problems and as long as you remember to switch it off when you're done, the battery life is very good! Recommended bit of kit!

Che]ers

ron

It is PSP I'm looking to get it for as it happens Shane. I plan to take my solar setup (which has no finder or bracket for one) for the day and use it for wide field observing on the night for my lad. I recently took it to a holiday in Wales but found it a pain to try aligning on to objects that looked prominent to the eye but obviously look totally different through a scope so wasn't sure I was looking at what I wanted. A simple red dot finder over the object would have confirmed if I had. I figured if I'm going to get a RD for one scope I may as well get one that's reasonably good to use on my others as well.

Archived