Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

seen on the moon

deric

Many years ago as a kid of about 10  a friend and I and my dad were on the porch looking at the moon with my 2 1/2 inch telescope. Cheap yes but you could see a lot of craters as well as the ring of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter.  

All of us observed what appeared to be an arch like thing protruding from about 2 o'clock on the moon's edge  . We looked at it for a few minutes I'm sure and it didn't change in form.

If you think of the St. Louis Arch it was like that. And considering how far above the moon's edge it was and the fact you could see the legs of the arch it had to have been huge.  It was probably sticking out from the moon's edge about -if the moon was 20 mm dia. the arch would have been about 1 or 2 mm. in height.  

My friend still occasionally talk about this so it's not like it's only me who can talk about it.  At the time dad didn't offer any comment on what it was.  I knew about cleaning the lenses so it wasn't something like that.  I've posted this or emailed it to different university folks but got little response.  My best guess is it might have been a plume of dust from a meteor but that almost seems like it was too large a structure for that.  

I'm sure that's the most likely explanation, anything else would have got a lot more attention I'm sure.

This image shows it as an arch, with shadow underneath, much as described.

yba3ejyz.jpg

Stu

I wonder if this was a line of sight effect, as the bridge was on the edge/limb, if an appropriately shaped group of stars were close to the moon it might look as though they formed part of a moon structure ? the Moon moves at a different rate to the star field but in a small scope at low mag the effect could last for several minuets.    

Archived