Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bother with eyepiece projection for wide-field AND DSOs?

Like most of you I dig the planets but the more I have read about eyepiece projection imaging the more I see it appears limited and exclusive to planets.

Do I stand a chance at eyepiece projection imaging on widefield and if possible brighter DSOs?

I've looked around and found just nothing for EPP DS imaging.

Hep me, please.

Ok, those are very interesting. There a filter in use? They're not quite pinpoint but beautiful still. Also, not what I expected as I wonder where the rest of the star field is.

Thanks for sharing. Share more? Any widefield?

One of my main draws to EPP imaging is what I perceive is the variety of magnifications possible for any target/s.

Admittedly I've not been to a star party but want to. The local camp out one near Eddersee, 1.5 hours north of Frankfurt had cloud skies all during so I simply didn't go.

I'll have to look into another one, I know. Seeing the kit in use, the results and chatting some poor knowledgeable guys ear off would help me soo much I know.

The rest of the stars are not visible as the exposure is quite short, in this case 1second at ISO 6400.

The Baader zoom was set on 8mm, camera Canon 60Da with an Astronomik CLS filter and scope was an SW 80ED.

Seeing was very poor and I took quite a few shots to hit a good bit of seeing.

Here is the trapezium, could'nt quite get F to show.

trapezium.jpg

not unless you can hold the camera very still and take long exposures with it

you can do it with a DSLR using a eyepiece projection tube but almost all DSO's is done at prime focus

Thanks for your response. Looking for relevant threads on this topic, hopefully some images pop up. Hoohoo!!

I would have thought EP projection, even with short folcal length EPs, would still produce a small field of view. Why not attach a short FL lens to the camera and piggy-back it onto your scope or directly onto your tracking mount?

There are brackets you can buy for EP projection, but I can't comment on them as I've not used them:

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Astro-Engineering/Ultra/PH047.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/skywatcher-universal-camera-adapter.html

Alexxx

Hi,

I started doing Afocal (EP) stuff when I got my new Edge800 (could not afford a camera as well)...and managed to get a few shots:

M13:

med_gallery_27945_3180_141225.jpg

That was a sony cybershot through a TAL25mmEP using a baader digiscoping bracket to hold the camera. and doing ASPA on the mount.15 second exposure.

and M82:

med_gallery_27945_3180_85568.jpg

Again same setup, though 30 seconds. 

I now do have a canon EOS-M (well its the wives)...and use that at Prime Focus. just give it a go...8-)

Regards

PS this is what happens when you don't polar align very well ;-):

med_gallery_27945_3180_94897.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Astrosurf I tried short FL with many lenses and over at least five or six sessions experienced painful focussing problems, that is even with liveview. I had coma , ovals, and such. I had other issues as well but in the end I gave up regular lenses and got the 70ed.

Archived