Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen eps...

Andy78

Hello all.... could anyone tell me the difference between the NLV and SLV range of eps from vixen. Apart from the price i cant find one! And would either of this range work in my 250px. Are should i jusy stick to tge BST range and get 2 eps for the rough price of one vixen???

I know John has done some reviews on the slv, from memory I think in the thread the question came up, can't remember if it was concluded though... could be worth a Google....!

One thing I do remember is I believe he and few other forum friends are impressed with them, which is no small amount of praise at all..

My next purchase as a result will probably be the 6 mm slv.

Think I did read somewhere the nlv might be discontinued, so stock sight be low..

I believe the NLV have a 40 - 50 degree FOV and quite a variation of eyerelief dependent on their focal length, whereas the SLV have a 50 degree FOV and 20mm of eyerelief across the whole range. Both have multi-coated 7 element lanthanum glass which give bright high contrast views.

The NLV were also produced in Japan and the SLV's are produced in China.

I think the SLV range are the best eyepieces I have used and apart from the FOV they are very close to top dollar eyepieces in many ways.

I haven't any experience of BST's but I understand they are great for the outlay.

I've used the 6mm, 12mm and 20mm SLV and I compared the 6mm SLV to a 6mm LV (which were the 1st generation Lanthanum eyepiece from Vixen). The SLV has an adjustable twist up eye cup rather than the stiff fixed one that the LV has and the SLV has a 50 degree apparent field of view over the 45 degrees that the LV (and some of the NLV range) offer.

Optically there was not a lot of difference between the LV and the SLV. I felt the SLV had slightly better light transmission when used on deep sky objects such as planetary nebulae and the LV seemed to have a slight tint to the image whereas the SLV had a notably white or neutral tone.

I guess the NLV would be somewhere between the LV and the SLV, not that there is much of a gap to fit into !. The NLV has a 2 position twist up eye cup. The LV and NLV's are made in Japan whereas Vixen has used China for the SLV's although the optical and build quality is still excellent.

I was very impressed with the SLV eyepieces that I used, especially the 6mm which gave me comparable image quality to the Baader Genuine Ortho of that focal length but with the benefits of 20mm of eye relief, a little more field of view and a nice large accommodating eye lens to peer into.

SLV's are a definite step up from the BST range (I have the 8mm BST and the 6mm SLV). As you point out, they are 2x the price though!

50° does mean that you spend a while nudging to keep your targets in view.

I will be buying more SLV's but can't see myself buying more BST's. This is no slur on the BST range. For the price they seem great.

Paul

Thanx to all of you for your input. Vixen is the way to go for me. I really do like the look of them, good design and not too bulky like some of the more expensive ranges. It is a shame about the lack of FOV. Saying that im using the stock eps and an SW 7mm UWA Planetary and thats only 58 dgs. And i think my dob deserves abit of quality to properly show what its capable of!!! Once again thanks for helping me decide on the brand..... now to figure out which focal lengths..... happy days.... dont you just love all the technical stuff!?!

Archived