Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I can't find the sun!!! I no I'm daft lol

KerryAnne,

Here is an easy way to make a solar filter for your finder.

Take off the lense cap and use a craft knife to cut out the centre. They usually have a small circular ridge running around the top of the cap a few milimetres from the edge. It is important to leave a rim of a couple of milimetres on the front of the cap. Use that rim as a guide for cutting out the circle. See photos below. Be careful not to cut off all your fingers :lol:

Place a square of Baader film on top of the objective lens of the finder scope. Carefully place the cap on top of the film, being very carefull not to scratch the part of the film that will be exposed to the sun. This is why the couple of milimetres of rim is important as it will cover any scratches at the edge of the film.

The cap should fit tightly and hold the film in place. Use the craft knife to trim off any excess film.

This is what it looks like...

post-33858-0-37672900-1408199552.jpg

post-33858-0-34112200-1408199554.jpg

You can use exactly the same method to create a solar filter for the 2" capped hole on the dust cap of your Dob. You don't need much aperture to view the sun so  you can just keep the full cover on and put one of these film filters over the 2" hole.

As others have said, make yourself or buy a good light shroud to cover those open trusses :wink:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the shadow for initial pointing, I was thinking of making a solar finder but I have realised that the small holes in the metal holder for my solar film make great finders. I just make sure one is on top and when the sun is lined up it will paint a spot of light onto the back of my filter holder :D

• 1 month later...

Archived