SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

'Free' Solar Finder

Moonshane

I had a spare 6x30 optical finder bracket and thought I'd try making a solar finder for my scopes. generally there's not an issue with finding the sun as I use the shadow of the OTA but as I had this lying about I thought I'd give it a go.

I also had a 1.25" drawtube plug which a previous owner had drilled a hole in so I used this on one side and a circle cut from a plastic milk bottle (such a useful thing to the DIY astronomer!)  on the other and stuck them both on with silicone (so they can easily be removed later if required). I expected the alignment to be off a bit but as it happens it was pretty good. I put a black dot on the rear to indicate best position but really you can 'guestimate' reasonably well.

Works really well and when the sun's projection is central on the black spot it repeatably gets the disk in the centre of a 50x plossl view.

Here's some pics. You could of course use the principle with many other designs/bits but this was using what I had about me.

post-5119-0-96546100-1411303667_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-67328400-1411303678_thumb.jp

• 5 months later...

Archived