Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

'Ow do!

introspheric

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Amy welcome to the lounge,

this starts off as a hobby and slowly develops into an obsession, well

that's what my wife tells me, hope you enjoy S G L and your new scope.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

A typical Yorkshire greeting there Amy  :smiley:

A warm welcome to the SGL Home for  Amateur astronomers, and professional too, I might add.

You will have no problem increasing your astronomical prowess here, as we are well endowed with very knowlegeable

people, on all the sciences embodied in the subject.

You seem very level headed, and you are approaching your new way of life (I've always been reluctant to call it a hobby),

with a common sense attitude, and that's good.

Binoculars are a very useful aid, much can be achieved using them on the sky. 

Progressing to telescopes in inevitable though, and when you feel ready to progress, the folks here will help whenever you

need it, all you do is ask. And remember, there are no stupid questions, except the ones you

DON'T  ask  :grin:.

Can I ask you if you have a pet Mouse, or Hamster? I ask, only because there seems to be a small enclosure on the floor in telescope telescope  picture.

A tunnel of sorts too. I am probably wrong though.

Anyway, enjoy your stay here.

Best Wishes.

Ron. 

PS. Interesting Website by the way.

"aye" nice setup, from your pictures im more curious on the pets you keep! Really nice looking scope, new myself but you certainly sound like you have good experience for visual already :)

Haha, I wondered who was going to pick up on that! It's the corner from my rabbit hutch and the cardboard box is very popular with both the wascally wabbit and my cat. They both turn 1 year old this month and are best of friends. :) I have a brown tabby named Penny and a dwarf Californian rabbit named Winston. (All my pets have fancy-ish names. It's meant to be a tongue in cheek play on the fact that my apartment is new and I sometimes don't feel deserving of it! La dee daaaah.)

PS - And if you haven't got it, nab a copy of Turn Left At Orion off t'Amazon (think that's right - adopted Southerner now living in Leeds, trying to get a hold of the lingo) - might set you back twenty quid or so, but it's pretty much been the bible since I bought it.

Haha, almost right! ;) And yes, I've seen that book mentioned a lot in this side of the forum so I reckon I should definitely look into it, perhaps there's a copy in the library that I can borrow while I save up to buy a copy. Or maybe it'd be cheaper to buy it from the library. Just trying to cut as many reasonable corners as I can money-wise until I get to the really advanced stuff! Right now I'm face first in Practical Astronomy by Storm Dunlop and cannot be without it.

Hi Amy and welcome baby steps are great spend time on just one constelation,Cassiopeia is a a great spot in the sky at the minute and as many a jewel to see ,this is what I did ,get all the names of the main stars that make up the constelation there's plenty of clusters to see,around this one spend one whole night looking ,boring never spend at least 30 mins on each cluster ,pan around and keep looking for the same clusters till you no where they are it will pay of in the end

And last of all enjoy your new scope

Pat

Haha, almost right! ;) And yes, I've seen that book mentioned a lot in this side of the forum so I reckon I should definitely look into it, perhaps there's a copy in the library that I can borrow while I save up to buy a copy. Or maybe it'd be cheaper to buy it from the library. Just trying to cut as many reasonable corners as I can money-wise until I get to the really advanced stuff! Right now I'm face first in Practical Astronomy by Storm Dunlop and cannot be without it.

No worries! Bar having an actual human being who knows the sky back to front standing next to you, Turn Left's as good as it gets, mainly because the illustrations give you a realistic idea of what you're looking at - much easier to identify a greyish haze from a drawing of, y'know, a grayish haze than a beautiful hubblesque photograph!

PS - I've also got a rabbit (a lionhead callled Abe, partly after Abe from Abe's Oddysee who looks as weird as he does, and partly because what with the bushy eyebrows and grey mane, there's a touch of the Old Testament prophet about him :grin: ) - was expecting a diminutive, shy thing when I bought him, but in reality, he's a major handful!

No worries! Bar having an actual human being who knows the sky back to front standing next to you, Turn Left's as good as it gets, mainly because the illustrations give you a realistic idea of what you're looking at - much easier to identify a greyish haze from a drawing of, y'know, a grayish haze than a beautiful hubblesque photograph!

PS - I've also got a rabbit (a lionhead callled Abe, partly after Abe from Abe's Oddysee who looks as weird as he does, and partly because what with the bushy eyebrows and grey mane, there's a touch of the Old Testament prophet about him :grin: ) - was expecting a diminutive, shy thing when I bought him, but in reality, he's a major handful!

What a great namesake! My friend brought over New N' Tasty for us to try out and it's awesome - some new sound effects though because with the original being so old they literally couldn't convert them and incorporate them into the new game! So they got the guy back in to re-record some new sounds! I'm mixed about it though, the original sound effects were my favourite, the 'Noooooooooooooooooooo' used to be my text tone at one point. :p Graphics are brilliant though.

I want to see a picture of him!

Hi Amy this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Night-Sky-Atlas-Tirion/dp/1849072418

When people join the gang here it's the first book I always lend people because it gives a real sky view and turn left at orion assumes that you no a lot to,start with give the phillips one ago,you can get the second hand version great book if you was closer am chesterfield way you could pop over and have a blast here one night

The phillips atlas in my eyes and the 20 odd popes I view with always get this and then TLAO ,that said we have the latest copy of it but every one always grabs the phillips one if you not happy once you buy it pm me and I will buy it of you

Pat

Hi Amy this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Night-Sky-Atlas-Tirion/dp/1849072418

When people join the gang here it's the first book I always lend people because it gives a real sky view and turn left at orion assumes that you no a lot to,start with give the phillips one ago,you can get the second hand version great book if you was closer am chesterfield way you could pop over and have a blast here one night

The phillips atlas in my eyes and the 20 odd popes I view with always get this and then TLAO ,that said we have the latest copy of it but every one always grabs the phillips one if you not happy once you buy it pm me and I will buy it of you

Pat

Ooh, I imagine it would be perfect paired with a Philips planisphere! Can't go wrong with Philips, I have Practical Astronomy so I suppose these two books would go together very well indeed.

Yes I to like the phillips books later down the line it's a tough choice turn left at orion or the cambridge star atlas

The cambridge books are great once you have found your way around this does not take long in the autum winter as longer viewing nights can be had here's a few of my fav books they all good ,i did not show the phillips star atlas as a freind as it along with 3 other books

Pat

post-9980-0-10157400-1407775199.jpg

Archived