Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'Ow do!

introspheric

Hello everyone! I'm Amy from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.  :grin:

Just recently found this lovely forum and plucked up the courage to introduce myself. Getting straight to the point, I have a nice little pair of 7x50 Vivitar binoculars and just today I've been given a Celestron Astromaster 90 to come to terms with. Missing the eyepiece though - any suggestions where I can rummage around for some and is there already a topic discussing the types of eyepieces I need as a minimum?

Reason I ask is because I don't feel entirely ready for a telescope just yet, but it's a very kind gift that I appreciate and it's nice to have it set up ready for when I feel like taking the next step. Currently I'm quite happy reading up with my astronomy books and using my binoculars. It seems like a nice modest starter scope and the EQ mount seems to be of reasonable quality - much heavier than it looks too - so I'm looking forward to taking it out and giving it a try when I'm ready. Back to the point though, any ideas for eyepieces?

10603551_10153460597708306_7382543469261

Bit of brief background about my progressl; I've always had a curiosity for astronomy and loved science when I was in school too, but it's only been over the past two years that I've started to take it seriously as a hobby and so far I'm loving it - baby steps is the way forward and it really does teach you how to use all your patience!  :lipsrsealed:

Just need some like minded people to talk to now, hopefully. There's only so long my friends and family can be polite enough to nod along in half hearted awe.  :tongue:

There is an astronomy club in my town too, and I've met some them before at a public star party on Good Friday this year which I really enjoyed (one of them were kind enough to let me look at Jupiter and its moons through his huuuge white refractor), but I don't really feel brave enough to join as a full member just yet...plus it's pennies I don't currently have. Eep!

So, here's me trying to make some new stargazer buddies a bit at a time.

Hiya.  :grin:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Amy, welcome to the Lounge. ;)

You will find all the Help you will ever need from the very friendly and knowledgeable folks on here. :)

As for your eyepiece question have a read through this thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

There are all sorts of topics you may find interesting in the ' Getting Started 'sections, as you said, read,read,read.

Hope you enjoy your new Hobby. :)

Hi Amy & Welcome to SGL.  Nice gift you were given, can't give you advice on eyepieces, I'm sure someone will be along to do that for you.  You could also try posting in the Beginners section as more people would read your post there.  Good luck.

Hi Amy and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. This is a friendly forum and loads of people are willing to help and offer advise. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome to SGL.

The optics on the Astromaster 90 are OK, but do not push the magnification beyound 180X. They would have originall come with a 10 & 20mm ep. I had one for a while.

It is a good learning 'scope.

Have a look at a 10mm and 20 mm Plossle from FLO or similar supplier. Do not overspend at this stage. 10mm will give you abou x100 and the 20mm about x50, good for a start.

The Diagonal is OK but the red dot finder fitted is pretty attrocious and cannot be easilty changed. You will find sighting along the barrell about as good as using the RDF.

Hi Amy and welcome to SGL, when you have gathered information on the types of eye piece suitable for your scope, have a look at "Astro/buy sell" , there often reasonably priced s/h eye pieces for sale, enjoy your scope :)

Welcome, Amy.

The links already given above are all you need to learn about eyepieces.

Just wish I could provide a link to help ensure you have fun with the hobby. It mustn't ever be a chore or a worry.

Enjoy.

Oooooh wow, look at all the open arms!  :grin:  Thank you everyone, I feel very much at home already, this is obviously a very active forum and you all seem wonderful. Looking forward to getting comfortable. And yes it is quite the gift isn't it? It's from my step dad, he bought it for himself as a retirement present a good few years ago but couldn't seem to get it working correctly and all the rest of it...you know how it is. I tried to explain to him why it wasn't doing what he expected it to do but he's given up on it and said I could 'have a go with it but good luck'...one man's tin is another Amy's treasure!  :hello2: 
Suffice to say that once I get a couple of eyepieces set up and perhaps my first filter lense, I'll put it to good use because there's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Then I hope to show him what it can really do after all... :)

Hello Amy and welcome to the site. What size of EP does your scope take ?

Hi there! I'm quite sure that it takes the same standard as most other Celestron scopes do, 1.25 inch, which is good because I think a lot of accessories come in that size too! Yay.

Hi there! I'm quite sure that it takes the same standard as most other Celestron scopes do, 1.25 inch, which is good because I think a lot of accessories come in that size too! Yay.

(I say this like I have any idea what 'most other Celestron scopes do'...haha!)

Welcome to SGL.

The optics on the Astromaster 90 are OK, but do not push the magnification beyound 180X. They would have originall come with a 10 & 20mm ep. I had one for a while.

It is a good learning 'scope.

Have a look at a 10mm and 20 mm Plossle from FLO or similar supplier. Do not overspend at this stage. 10mm will give you abou x100 and the 20mm about x50, good for a start.

The Diagonal is OK but the red dot finder fitted is pretty attrocious and cannot be easilty changed. You will find sighting along the barrell about as good as using the RDF.

Thank you for your input! (Also loving the 'Baggywrinkle' term in your signature, not quite sure yet whether to take it as a joke or not but either way it made me giggle.)

I've been reading up about the scope and yes, it seems very apparent with what you say about the red dot finder. Plenty of people seem quite annoyed with it. Is it a better idea to try and use the finder with the red dot switched off or will it not make much of a difference whether I use the barrel or the finder with the dot switched off?

Hi Amy, hope you're enjoying SGL! I joined a couple of weeks ago and everyone's been amazingly helpful and pleasant - astronomy (particularly kit) seems like a bit of a technical minefield at first, but the guys and gals here'll see you through :icon_salut: .

PS - And if you haven't got it, nab a copy of Turn Left At Orion off t'Amazon (think that's right - adopted Southerner now living in Leeds, trying to get a hold of the lingo) - might set you back twenty quid or so, but it's pretty much been the bible since I bought it.

A typical Yorkshire greeting there Amy  :smiley:

A warm welcome to the SGL Home for  Amateur astronomers, and professional too, I might add.

You will have no problem increasing your astronomical prowess here, as we are well endowed with very knowlegeable

people, on all the sciences embodied in the subject.

You seem very level headed, and you are approaching your new way of life (I've always been reluctant to call it a hobby),

with a common sense attitude, and that's good.

Binoculars are a very useful aid, much can be achieved using them on the sky. 

Progressing to telescopes in inevitable though, and when you feel ready to progress, the folks here will help whenever you

need it, all you do is ask. And remember, there are no stupid questions, except the ones you

DON'T  ask  :grin:.

Can I ask you if you have a pet Mouse, or Hamster? I ask, only because there seems to be a small enclosure on the floor in telescope telescope  picture.

A tunnel of sorts too. I am probably wrong though.

Anyway, enjoy your stay here.

Best Wishes.

Ron. 

PS. Interesting Website by the way.

Archived