NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 127 Mak v Celestron C6

I am interested in buying a small light scope for traveling and have narrowed it down to a Skywatcher 127mm Mak or a Celestron C6.

I would like to see the relative size of the scopes side by side so if anyone has these two scopes could you please post a photo

Thanks in advance :smiley:

The chances of fellow SGL members owning both is low (but not impossible) given the similar apertures but perhaps an alternative would be to include a common object (such as an iPhone) in the photos of both scopes to provide relative scale so you can compare them.

Just a thought.

I've owned a C5 and the 127mm mak and both are about the same diameter but the mak is a little longer and heavier. As both need dew shields in use the length is a mute point. The C6 will be about 1 inch fatter than the 127 mak but around the same tube length and weight.

My C5 used to sit quite happilly on an AZ-3 and made a very portable rig. The 127mm Mak and I guess the C6 SCT would be fine on a Giro or AZ-4 I reckon.

Don't own a C6, but my little 127Mak is bullet proof and I often travel with it. It just takes the little knocks in life within it's stride. 

Something to be said for a closed tube (mak) and having the secondary on the back of the primary lens. (nothing can move.)

Due to long focal lengths these are very slow to image with. although planetary is good.

My son has a 127 Mak and a friend has a C6 and I would take the C6 any day.

Why's that, Rik?  Not that I'm about to part with my much-hacked 127 Mak, you understand.  Just interested in what you perceive as the particular benefits of the C6.

James

Why's that, Rik?  Not that I'm about to part with my much-hacked 127 Mak, you understand.  Just interested in what you perceive as the particular benefits of the C6.

James

Thats interesting Rik - why do you prefer the C6 ?

Quicker cool down, better views, and a smashing orangey bit :)

• 1 month later...

Archived