Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing the ISS

I know this isn't exactly astronomy but WOW!  just been looking up to show my children (don't tell their mother they were up at midnight!) the ISS.  Spotted it quickly WSW and watched it approach us which was very bright and clear; we thought we could make out the solar arrays . After about 60 seconds of viewing a superb meteor passed over our heads from the NW and burnt up  just short of the track of the ISS. Magnificent! My boys were impressed, so much so they want to look again tomorrow . 

Can significant detail of the ISS be observed using binoculars? If so can you recommend a suitable make and model that won't break the bank (ie about £100)? I think think this would be good way to introduce them, and me,  to the night sky and we can follow up with more detailed observing using the telescope later.

MJ

8" SkyWatcher Skyliner  Dobsonian 

I don't find that much detail is visible using 15x50 binos. Have you tried tracking it in the scope? It's relatively easy until it gets nearer the zenith, then 'slows' down again as it gets further away.

I've done it a few times and you can make out detail at x50 or so

I don't find that much detail is visible using 15x50 binos. Have you tried tracking it in the scope? It's relatively easy until it gets nearer the zenith, then 'slows' down again as it gets further away.

I've done it a few times and you can make out detail at x50 or so

Will have to give that a try.I saw it go

over as well.What sort of mag, is needed

on the scope.

Steve

Will have to give that a try.I saw it go

over as well.What sort of mag, is needed

on the scope.

Steve

Anything above around x30 should give you some detail, x50 is good if you have a nice wide field eyepiece, easier to track.

I find it in the finder, the get ahead of it and wait to pick it up as it goes through the field of view. It's easier to move the scope ahead, then watch it as it passes through, then repeat.

I know this isn't exactly astronomy but WOW!  ....

I think observing things like ISS are a great entry to sky watching and therefore astronomy!

I've never seen any detail in ISS with my 10x50's but then I don't have the most acute vision. I wouldn't want to recommend buying some new bins in the hope of seeing something. 

Having said that, you can never have enough pairs of bins! :)

Good look with the ISS spotting!

I managed to see the side panels clearly enough when I tracked it as it charged past a couple of nights ago in my Dob. As mentioned above, judge the flight path and align the finder ahead of it and have a wide an eyepiece in as possible (I used a 28mm 68' one, giving me ~ x40 magnification). It is remarkably quick!

I know this isn't exactly astronomy but WOW!  just been looking up to show my children (don't tell their mother they were up at midnight!) the ISS.  Spotted it quickly WSW and watched it approach us which was very bright and clear; we thought we could make out the solar arrays . After about 60 seconds of viewing a superb meteor passed over our heads from the NW and burnt up  just short of the track of the ISS. Magnificent! My boys were impressed, so much so they want to look again tomorrow . 

Can significant detail of the ISS be observed using binoculars? If so can you recommend a suitable make and model that won't break the bank (ie about £100)? I think think this would be good way to introduce them, and me,  to the night sky and we can follow up with more detailed observing using the telescope later.

MJ

8" SkyWatcher Skyliner  Dobsonian 

I saw the 22:30 pass by chance, went to look at Moon,Saturn, Mars, and then went back out to watch the midnight one, I caught the meteor as well  :grin: travelling east to west and just north of the ISS path from my location. I have tracked the station with a scope and seen the basic shape but in bino's I only see it as an elongated bright object. If the timing of the pass means the station goes into shadow whilst still high up this can help to show a bit more detail.  

Archived