Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very first full solar disk July 27th.

Space Cowboy

My first solar outing of 2014 and first time I've managed a full disk mosaic. 9 panes captured with QHY5L-II M and Skymax 127 with a focal reducer. Detail is not great forgot to use IR 742 filter and lots of dust contamination.  Cloud was contantly rolling over and just managed to grab a 5 minute window.

gallery_4016_1926_1001235.png

Hi Stuart,

Full disc mosaics in white light are not easy to achive as for most of the disc, there isn't enough detail to use for alignment points, so well done.  Pity about the dust bunnies, they really show up on the sun, I sometimes have to clean my camera 3 or 4 times to make sure it is clear of the things.  Planets and DSOs are much more foregiving.

Apart from the dust, you have got a great photo, all the spots coming through and some granulation.  I would try a couple of close ups on the main ARs with your 127 Mak, you should get some nice detail.

Robin

Thanks Soot!

Cheers Robin my previous efforts have been close ups when I used the DFK but since having the QHY5L with the larger sensor it has been my ambition to capture the full disk and with the help of a focal reducer I've managed it which is very satisfying.

Thanks Pete & Roger! The focal reducer enabled me to capture large enough panes to match them up along the limb without producing an empty space in the center which would be extremely hard to piece together. Lunar mosaics are child's play compared to this.

Archived