Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A little advice needed (Well lots realy)

I have got a SW 127 on a AZ goto mount and I have been doing some solar imaging with it and Im well pleased with what im getting. To cut a long story short Im about to buy SW HQ5 PRO to mount my little MAK on with a thought of trying to do some DSO imaging. I know my MAK is far from ideal for this but its little steps for me. Now we get to the question! I have been using a Neximage c5 For my solar stuff, would this be capable of any DSO stuff or is a new camera too? If so what camera is reasonable priced and will give me some dso imaging. Im not expecting the wow stuff seen in other parts of this site, just after something to work on. Thanks in advance.

to be honest the neximage camera is good at high frame rates for planetary and moon images, you can convert them for slightly long exposures but you will still only get 3 or 4 second exposures, also you scope is good for planet and moon images but not the best for dso imaging, the mount your buying is a good upgrade and very capable.

i would say that camera and scope options will depend on your budget, but if your thinking of doing some dso imaging then maybe a reasonable 80mm doublet scope and a canon 1000d or 1100d will certianly get you going for a fairly modest outlay.

Hi

You can use the F3.3 and F6.3 focal reducers with your MAK if you can get the SW->SCT adapter ring.

These are not matched to the MAK optics but if you use a small CCD (1/3 or 1/2") you should get away with it.

I use one with my 102mm MAK and Lodestar-C camera.

HTH

Paul

I have got a SW 127 on a AZ goto mount and I have been doing some solar imaging with it and Im well pleased with what im getting. To cut a long story short Im about to buy SW HQ5 PRO to mount my little MAK on with a thought of trying to do some DSO imaging. I know my MAK is far from ideal for this but its little steps for me. Now we get to the question! I have been using a Neximage c5 For my solar stuff, would this be capable of any DSO stuff or is a new camera too? If so what camera is reasonable priced and will give me some dso imaging. Im not expecting the wow stuff seen in other parts of this site, just after something to work on. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Have a look at my stuff on Astrobin, signature link, there is I think atleast one or two images taken with a Mak 127 so it is doable. The problem of guiding Mak 127 for long exposure DSO imaging is another matter. My suggestion is to do a lot of reading and research before buying equipment.

Regards,

A.G

I'd keep your Mak for continuing to do Moon and planetary imaging and for observing and get yourself something like an ED80, I think learning to image is hard enough without having extra problems to overcome when you are a beginner.  The mount you have chosen is perfect presuming it's the version capable of guiding which i am sure it is (most are).

It's not impossible to use your Mak for imaging, but I think guiding is more problematic with a longer focal length, finding the target will be more difficult and you will need much much longer exposures to obtain the same data as you would with a shorter focal length refractor.  

A cheap and effective way of getting into long exposure imaging is with a DSLR as suggested, if you can get an astro modified one even better.  

HTH

Carole 

Hi again. Have been cramming as much info as I can from Making every Photon Count. I know that my MAK is not the ideal but as its all I have got at the moment so  will try with that untill i can get something  more suitable for the task. Also Im going to have to save so more pennys for a better imaging device. I think I will be going down the colour CCD route but am open to other ideas.

If you want to try this the 3.3 reducer would be good with small chips as said earlier. These reducers are all but obsolete nowadays and go for very little second hand. (Very few people do DS imaging on tiny chips any more so the 3.3 is not much sought after.) I passed one on on a 'permanent loan' basis a while back.

BTW, long focal lengths don't need longer exposures than short ones. It is slow focal ratios which need longer exposures.

Olly

Archived