Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's the best free Remote Capture software for an Canon EOS

Title says all :smiley: I've currently got a program called DSLR Remote Pro, it's okay, can bring up a histogram and take a picture with the settings already applied to the camera, though from what I've seen so far you can't change those settings. I don't really know what features other software might have and why it might be better so I'm just asking you guys what you think the best software is.

Regards,
Imad

The Canon utilities disk includes a free remote capture program but I much prefer a dedicated astro program like APT (Astrophotography Tool). This has a free demo which includes the most useful features but the full version is only about £12 and well worth it.

Don't worry, clicked a different download link and got the standard installer. Once I've tested it i'll come back and tell you guys what i think, if its better than the Remote Capture in EOS Utility (got it worked after posting this topic).

Could you guys tell me what the functional use of a histogram (RGB Graph). It's cool to have there but can it be used to do?

The histogram is a graph of the pixel values in your image. The dark faint stuff is on the left and the bright stars are on the right. You use it to help set your exposure time. For deep sky images, galaxies, nebulae etc, you want long enough exposures that the peak in the histogram moves across about 1/3 - 1/2 way until you have a clear separation from the left hand end. For lunar images, you want to make sure the line doesn't reach the right hand end because then you will over expose and blow out your highlights.

Yup, I used Canon Utility when i first started and later changed to APT.  It's great and you can do dithering in it too.  Also DARV, a type of drift alignment I believe though i never used it.  It will also control CCD cameras and I think telescope as well.  Lots of features.

Carole 

Title says all :smiley: I've currently got a program called DSLR Remote Pro, it's okay, can bring up a histogram and take a picture with the settings already applied to the camera, though from what I've seen so far you can't change those settings. I don't really know what features other software might have and why it might be better so I'm just asking you guys what you think the best software is.

Regards,

Imad

APT is free but the licence is only 12 euros which just helps with the development costs so it is a bit mean not to pay the little amount but it would still work without a licence. It does a hell of a lot more than remote capture .

A.G

Archived