NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC6888 Narrowband WIP

MikeD

I have been sitting on some Ha and OIII data for this target for a while, hopping to add to it and catch some SII to complete my first narrowband tricolour image.

Unfortunately the weather has had other ideas, so I decided to process what I have so far as a HA-OIII-OIII tricolour image .

Ha = 5 @ 1200 seconds (shot on 20th June)

OIII = 9@ 1200 seconds (shot on 22th June)

I am pleased with the detail, it just needs more time at the scope to bring down the noise and bring out the faint stuff and then some SII data.

Thanks for looking

Mike.

gallery_730_1107_767890.jpg

Thanks guys

That's really nice Mike. Much less noise than I managed, with a very similar integration time. How much SII is there on this object?

Not too sure I am just  keen to try my first tricolour narrowband image. :grin:

Mike.

Super. The resolution is fabulous. So is the faint outer O111 shell. More data will haul down the noise, too. Is there any way in which you could combine binned data to reduce noise without losing the Bin1 resolution? For instance, using the Bin 1 in luminance mode. Just thinking out loud...

Olly

Super. The resolution is fabulous. So is the faint outer O111 shell. More data will haul down the noise, too. Is there any way in which you could combine binned data to reduce noise without losing the Bin1 resolution? For instance, using the Bin 1 in luminance mode. Just thinking out loud...

Olly

I see where you are coming from but wouldn't the noise from the bin 1  L be carried through to the result ( I would still need balanced HA-OIII-SIII data to create a true L data set).

Not sure why but I dropped the notion of catching binned data a few years ago even for Lrgb imaging. :huh:

I have kind of resigned myself to the philosophy, if I want a good image I have to be prepared to give it the time it needs and bin1 data is better than binned data. :grin:

Mike.

Archived