Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What shall I start off with?

After a few sessions of navigating my way around the night sky with only a planisphere and thoroughly enjoying it i decided it was time to move to the next step. I want to buy some optics so i can look closer at different celestial objects but i do not know whether to start with a telescope or some binos these are the places im looking opinions. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-118760-Binocular-10x50-DPS-1/dp/B0000AKGX3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404153649&sr=8-1&keywords=dps1

I would guess that nearly everyone on here owns or has owned a set of binoculars.

A decent set is a great way to get started, and will allow you to observe even difficult objects.

+ you can use them for daylight activities.

I use my bins, all the time.

Make up your mind what it is you want to do.

I usually say get a scope, that is the instument for astronomy.

Binoculars are not an alternative to a scope, equally a scope is not an alternative for binoculars.

Each does a different job.

The next question is how much did you anticipate spending on one or the other. You can get a small refractor for £100 or a not much bigger refractor for £4000. What you are paying for is the quality of the glass at the front and the range of prices can be large.

The best aperture size per penny is the dobsonian based reflector.

For a first one look at the Skywatcher 150P, it will do most things you will and and is affordable. It sould be about f/8 if I recall. The longer focal length makes it a little easier to get along with.

If a refractor then a nice start is the Skywatcher Evostar 90 or 102 if you fancy.

Both are good to start with, but that implies you could want bigger in the future and may think to buy the bigger now and get on with it. However buget is the factor.

Also will ask any vague, slight, almost imperceptible ideas of imaging?

After a few sessions of navigating my way around the night sky with only a planisphere and thoroughly enjoying it i decided it was time to move to the next step. I want to buy some optics so i can look closer at different celestial objects but i do not know whether to start with a telescope or some binos these are the places im looking opinions. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-118760-Binocular-10x50-DPS-1/dp/B0000AKGX3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404153649&sr=8-1&keywords=dps1

Any local clubs you could contact? That way you can try before you buy if you ask nicely and maybe offer a few Jaffa cakes!

I can recommend the dps1 bins, great for a modest investment and is how most people start. Also check out the binocular sky website. They bring out a monthly magazine wich is a good read to get started.

Good luck and clear skies :)

Scope I say ,bins are ok but they not gonna show a deal and may be a let down unless you going big 80mm pluss but of you going that big a scope of the same size would be better bins as you no ,have a fixed magnification. Go for a scope

Pat

Scope I say ,bins are ok but they not gonna show a deal and may be a let down unless you going big 80mm pluss but of you going that big a scope of the same size would be better bins as you no ,have a fixed magnification. Go for a scope

Pat

Yes this is the same thought im having, you can do more with a scope than bins which is why i always wonder why they are recommended before a scope.

It is horses for courses. But generally, Convenience is the key.

A simple Dobsonian (non GoTo) is great for learning the sky and hunting out deep space objects (DSOs) for a limited outlay, but they ain't compact and they have very a limited potential for imaging.

I'm delighted with my first scope, a 10" Dob. I don't really have storage constraints and am OK with the ungainly 35kg level carry into a dark garden. I enjoy hunting down and learning about the DSOs, but have the attention span of a goldfish for anything technical.

As mentioned already. The Skywatcher 150 or 200 would be good options. Be prepared to upgrade the eyepieces within the first couple of months.

Paul

Also will ask any vague, slight, almost imperceptible ideas of imaging?

This is a fair point to consider as it will effectively remove a manual dobsonian from consideration.

As stated, a dobsonian is a very good first scope. The sky watcher 200p is an ideal beginner scope. It is big enough to show some real detail on DSOs, and is also not very heavy. And also, one learns to navigate the night sky because you have to manually locate the object. And another advantage is that it is extremely simple to use.

Yes this is the same thought im having, you can do more with a scope than bins which is why i always wonder why they are recommended before a scope.

Bins are usually recommended since they are usually much cheaper (~£50) than a telescope (~£300), they also have a much wider field of view, making it easier to find things while you "learn the sky" and are more portable for dark skies

Get a Dob, get a Dob, get a Dob... You'll hear a lot of people say it, and with good reason - for visual astronomy they are brilliant - low set-up, intuitive to use and you biggest bang-for-buck. My 150P will give me clear views of M57, resolve a lot of M13, show the rings of Saturn etc. etc. etc. The only caveat is that at 16kg, mine is considered a little one - these are big 'scopes!

Binoculars depend on taste. I like the occasional session with my binoculars but I have trouble holding them steady - for this reason I don't get on at all well with them for astronomy. Great for birdwatching of course, and a pair of bins can be invaluable in helping to locate objects to find with the telescope. So, yeah, get both!

DD

Archived