Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quiet Sunday Sun

Pig

I have just had a 20 minute session and must the sun is looking a bit quiet this morning from a prominence point of view  :smiley: There are a couple of potentials developing in the 7 & 11 O'clock positions with a few smaller spikes dotted around the remainder of the disc.

The surface detail looks grand with lots of granulation, there is also a huge moustache stretching quite a way vertically through centre of the disc. The marbled surface is looking hypnotically splendid as it always does and is still playing the usual kaleidoscopic tricks on the eyes  :laugh:

The sunspots are a little scarce, the largest is positioned just left of centre in a southerly direction and there are a couple more toward the 11 O'clock position.

All in all a lovely & warm early morning sun  :smiley:

I bet the Quarks cant beat it :grin:  :evil:

Nice report Shaun.

Just been out myself and the seeing here is very steady, best it's been in a long while.

Looks to be a very wide prom developing on the left hand side and as you say that's a cracking large black filament running down the middle.

Just when I get my eye in the cloud rolls over though grrr.

110mm not bad at all Aaron :laugh:  I can imagine how much better it is, or should I say make believe :grin:

:)

It was quite impressive. Some lovely detail to be seen. I like your description of the surface playing kaleidoscopic tricks on the eyes... Is very fitting, even with quite large aperture.

Nice one Shaun. I've managed some brief sessions between the clouds today. The central filament is very prominent, but actually I'm enjoying the white light view of the new AR rotating into the disk. There is so much fine detail visible in it, and lovely faculae surrounding it. I do like the way you can almost get the 3D effect of it coming around the 'corner' as it were.

Some more blue sky coming so perhaps another look now

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers guys :smiley:

I am sure the sun and the clouds are playing games with me at the moment, 3 times they have interrupted me whilst I am watching Lieutenant Columbo, because as soon as I make it to the garden and go to take the scope cover off the bright sunshine disappears :shocked:

Right that's it, I am off to the sauna & steam room until the football stars at 5 O'clock. :grin:

Had another look as the Netherlands scored from a penalty. A large new prom was visible north of the large new AR (2104) on the eastern limb. It looks somewhat flattened, but is very bright. Just south of the leading sunspot in AR 2104, a small, very bright spot could be seen. I swapped out the LS35, and attached the APM80 for a white-light view, and spotted more sunspots close to the limb following in the wake of AR 2104. Another group seems to be swinging into view to the north, close to where I saw the big prom in H-alpha.

I have managed a good hour late in the afternoon and its looking good Michael, a stark difference from the early hours of this morning  :smiley:The new group of sunspots are looking very promising indeed I cant wait to follow them through their journey across our face of the sun  :laugh:

Archived