Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do u observe near to a wood where there are brown bears and wolves???

LB-10-LB

Quote 'scarp15' "...Forgive my ignorance but where exactly is Čudkovská Dolina?...'

Slovak Republic / Slovenská republiká / Slovenský štát

Unable to find it via Google Earth on my smartphone (Samsung S3) though!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask Carol L? In the dim & distant, I (proudly) drew her attention to SGL. ;)

Sometime columnist of S@N Mag! (Another) not around anymore / missed!

Loved her tales of nights on the "starpad"... accompanied by the howls of

wolves, growls of bears, the occasional "mountain lion alert" etc. etc. :cool:  :D

Is it brown bears or black bears where you have to curl up in a ball and pretend to be dead? It doesn't come up often in Bushy Park. Of course I have the deer to contend with, but they don't generally bother with me...

Frankly you're lucky in Europe to have to worry about bears and wolves! Most countries have sent theirs to extinction. I'm going to the Picos de Europa in September and am hoping to do a bit of observing then, so I will have a similar worry.

DD

How common are the brown bears and wolfs in this wooded area and how likely are they to attack? Would a whistle on a neck cord not suffice?

Forgive my ignorance but where exactly is Cudkovska Dolina?

I had a close encounter myself with wolfs in Northern Norway a few years back, though they weren't in themselves a threat, the marks men hunting them in a helicopter could have been though, had they mistaken us when skiing through the trees for the wolf pack.

Here in the UK the only predators I am familiar with are midges. Its other people, if at a remote spot to be watchful for such as if a group of poachers armed to the teeth turn up, or here in Northumberland you may unwittingly find yourself close to the route of a military night training exercise - but really no threat at all.

Nice picture to. 

Middle europe slovakia and in the uk you dont have anything to be afraid of just bad weather :p

Quote 'scarp15' "...Forgive my ignorance but where exactly is Čudkovská Dolina?...'

Unable to find it via Google Earth on my smartphone (Samsung S3) thoug

recently there was a map made for the news in america and they got the countryes wrong like instead of slovakia there was cechoslovakia and next to it was Iran americans arent good at geography Amazing how i post one thing and everybody wants to look up where i live.

Sorry but i dont think i would be observing in an area that has predators like wolves and brown bears 

In each wood there are too many bears there everywere the only place they arent is the town and it sucks to stargaze there

Unable to find it via Google Earth on my smartphone (Samsung S3) though!

Amazing how it isnt on google maps most people dont even know that my country exists :D its north slovakia by the high tatras next to a town you find it im not telling u exactly u could call a bear to beat me up and take my telescope :D

Maybe the bears and wolves are less of a risk than some of the humans around at many sites?

Or, you could offer them a view of Ursa Major or Canis Major, as appropriate.

Chris

Maybe but thhey would growl too much :D

Is it brown bears or black bears where you have to curl up in a ball and pretend to be dead? It doesn't come up often in Bushy Park. Of course I have the deer to contend with, but they don't generally bother with me...

Frankly you're lucky in Europe to have to worry about bears and wolves! Most countries have sent theirs to extinction. I'm going to the Picos de Europa in September and am hoping to do a bit of observing then, so I will have a similar worry.

DD

I know what to do its just frustrating stargazing and looking through the eyepiece not knowing whats around ill guess ill get a friend i dont have much choice there everywhere exept townst there over populated :D

I'd find another observing spot , if you knowingly put yourself at risk then you shouldn't be too surprised if that " risk " materialises.

Expensive scopes are only " things " and can be replaced and my main concern given your scenario would be my own personnel safety .

A little common sense goes a long way ( if your blessed with that skill )and a Darwin Award is not a good epitaph.

I'd find another observing spot , if you knowingly put yourself at risk then you shouldn't be too surprised if that " risk " materialises.

Expensive scopes are only " things " and can be replaced and my main concern given your scenario would be my own personnel safety .

A little common sense goes a long way ( if your blessed with that skill )and a Darwin Award is not a good epitaph.

I dont have that choice its either observe in a light polluted area or have the risk of a bear or something else scearing u :D

Amazing how it isnt on google maps most people dont even know that my country exists :D its north slovakia by the high tatras next to a town you find it im not telling u exactly u could call a bear to beat me up and take my telescope :D

Hi 'LB-10-LB' and a belated welcome to SGL.

I managed to find some photos via Google (again via the smartphone). Looks a breathtaking place, (until greeted by a bear or wolf...

...then heartbeating and breathtaking).

This might sound weird but tie a small bell to one of your shoes. As you move around the noise from the bell should alert any bears in the area to your presence. If they know you're there and I'll probably stay away. and if you make as much noise as possible when you're setting up if you're probably also scare them away. If you're taking food out with you tie it up in a tree away from your site.

Worth adding perhaps that in a country like the US, with fairly good numbers of bears and wolves, 1700 people have died as a result of one single mosquito-born infection since 2000. I imagine the numbers munched by bear or wolf are rather less than this......

They always say it's the little ones that are the most dangerous!

Chris

Hi 'LB-10-LB' and a belated welcome to SGL.

I managed to find some photos via Google (again via the smartphone). Looks a breathtaking place, (until greeted by a bear or wolf...

...then heartbeating and breathtaking

Its not the nicest place in my country its sort of in the middle :D Come and pay a visit if u wish (ofcourse for your own money and dont expect to see me :D)

IMHO the answer is quite simple:

Get a good observing guide. Use some wide field eyepieces and some for higher magnifications to split doubles ... Thats how one observes. If there are wolves and bears around you may have to watch out for these between changing eyepieces.

Jeremy.

where I'm watching there are wild boars... lots of them! and they can get really massive and big... it can really scare the cr*p out off me to see an adult boar jump

out of the bushes .

they are mostly harmless and just seeking for food and garbage, but it is dangerous to encounter a female with youngsters because they

get protective and very aggressive.

they don't afraid of humans but get scared of loud noises so the best way to scare them off is to start your car engine and press the gas on neutral for 5 sec

and maybe use the horn couple of times. 

where I'm watching there are wild boars... lots of them! and they can get really massive and big... it can really scare the cr*p out off me to see an adult boar jump

out of the bushes .

they are mostly harmless and just seeking for food and garbage, but it is dangerous to encounter a female with youngsters because they

get protective and very aggressive.

they don't afraid of humans but get scared of loud noises so the best way to scare them off is to start your car engine and press the gas on neutral for 5 sec

and maybe use the horn couple of times. 

Now one thing I really love is wild boar "prosciutto crudo" .....

Archived