NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help! Newbie with a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p

I've just got this telescope today and I can focus with the Finderscope but when viewing through the eyepiece, it looks very blurry and I'm not sure what the problem is, can someone please tell me if I've set this up correctly and are there any good clips on YouTube or similar which I can watch to help me set it up properly? 

DSC_1853_zpsrjc4ybem.jpg

DSC_1854_zpsxfzxg5ob.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried it with the eyepiece in all the way first but it made no difference, I was trying allsorts really. I was focusing on a tree in the background but it's not as far away as it is supposed to be, would that be the problem?

Is the 2" adaptor still in the focuser?

There should be an adaptor for 2" eyepieces and that needs to come out, then the 1.25" bits are put back and the eyepiece sits further in adn can be focused.

Trouble is that it looks like it should be in place and it is the perfect place to store it.

If you are trying to align on anything less then about 2 miles away then it is too close.

Hi, I would say , you need the eyepiece to be in all the way for a start. :) , then I think it's maybe down to focusing properly. Going by your comment of focusing on a tree that's not far away, if that is the position of the focuser when you looked through it ,it would be blurry. As that looks to be set for a distance far,far,away. ;)

Focusing is very important, and I've found being a noob myself, it's ALL ABOUT SMALL MOVES.. You can go past a great view in an instant. Take your time, honestly it will pay benefits in the end.

Hope that helps. :)

The eyepiece needs to be all the way in. A cherry on a tree half a mile away should work with the 25mm EP, but it will be upside down.

If you can get outside at about 11am to 14.00 your time, what's left of the Moon is pretty good to your South West moving gradually West and disapearing into the afternoon. It will now only be a small cresent shape but it is great to have the warm sun on your back whilst using the telescope.

DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

Which eyepiece are you using?  When you rotate the focuser wheels, does the whole thing move in or out? 

Paul

I only have the 10mm eyepiece and yes the whole thing does move in and out when I turn the focuser wheels

Is the 2" adaptor still in the focuser?

There should be an adaptor for 2" eyepieces and that needs to come out, then the 1.25" bits are put back and the eyepiece sits further in adn can be focused.

Trouble is that it looks like it should be in place and it is the perfect place to store it.

If you are trying to align on anything less then about 2 miles away then it is too close.

The 2" adapter isn't in the focuser so I guess the problem will be the distance. Would it be better to try out tonight when the Moon is out?

Unfortunately, the Moon has already set for today so you'll have to wait until early tomorrow morning from 2:30 am onwards. You could try focusing on the Pole star, Polaris as soon as it gets dark enough to see it with the unaided eye or even better, locate the bright star Vega in the east although that star will of course move through your field of view making it more problematic whereas for your purposes, Polaris will be pretty still.

The adaptors/eyepiece in your image look correct but for viewing celestial objects, insert the eyepiece fully.

As per the above, seat the eyepiece (EP) fully. In your pic it is not.

Same EP, same focuser, taken 5 mins ago.

Er, is this a S/H scope, you say you only have the 10mm EP, if sorting the EP position doesn't improve things then there may be another sortable issue such as collimation, poorly positionned secondary etc.

All of which are reasonably dealt with at home by you and the SGL crew.

hth Rich

Edit, evidently it is S/H the track line on the focuser draw tube indicates use. (So is mine BTW) and I had all sorts of screwy issues from the P/O. All sorted with patience and no cash.

post-34135-0-84240200-1403550096_thumb.j

Thanks for all your comments everyone, I tried to look this morning but I couldn't see the Moon as it is too cloudy! I'll try Polaris again tonight if there is a clear sky.

Yea the mirrors look ok, the guy I bought it from said he only used it a couple of times because he didn't really have time for it and I don't know anyone with a telescope so I can't borrow any EP's unfortunately!

The 10mm skywatcher ep is a bit rubbish. I bought my scope new with everything alligned and it's still not great, so that'll not help you. 2 essential a for a Newtonian scope like yours (and mine) are a collimating eyepiece (woo hop I spelt it right this time) and some reasonable to good ep's to start off with.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You will get perfectly clear images with the supplied eyepieces , there is no need to go and buy new ones to cure this blurriness , try the ep in fully , you should be able to focus on to stars so they are pin pricks of light , are the finder and the scope aligned ? You need a distant object to do this , I did mine on the moon,

I also bought this scope two days ago. With the 1.25" adapter in the 2" adapter, I can focus at about 20 meters. At this distance, the views with the 25mm EP are ok, but the 10mm can't achieve perfect focus. Maybe the EP is of low quality, or the scope is not well collimated.

Archived