Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M7

Mr Flibble

I've been waiting since last summer to bag this one and I finally got it last night (this morning!).

Such a small window of opportunity of about an hour or so to find it because its so low down. I could only make out a few stars in saggitarius to use as a guide along with a couple of pointer stars from ophiuchus because the tail of the scorpion was not visible, But after panning around with the dob in the general area the open cluster lept out of the murky view in the eyepiece. Thankfully its a very bright OC otherwise I would easily have missed it amid the murk.

Chuffed to bits because I've just got the galaxy M83 to complete the M's - roll on next spring :grin:

Congrats on bagging M7. It is hard from here up north. Was in Sydney some years back, and wondered what that naked eye bright patch was overhead. Aimed the 15x70 bins, and was gobsmacked at the sight of M7. Stunning open cluster. I also bagged M67 and M83 from there. Much easier when they are high up

I really wasn't overly impressed with M7, nearby M6 was very nice though.

Its a nice feeling knowing your near the end of the Messier list but when you finish you realise just how amazing a lot of those objects are and you cant wait to revisit, at least thats how I feel anyway. :)

M7 is almost always lost in the haze around the horizon of London. I reckon a nice clear night on a south facing coast is what's needed to actually get a sight of it in this country. I would have had a crack last night, but I tried M19 and failed, and even M4 was lost in the haze and semi-darkness of the solstice. Still, there's a window of opportunity next month, and the delights of Sagittarius to look forward to.

DD

It certainly wasn't very impressive amid the haze and murk but as Michael says I imagine it would be an absolute stunner if it was up near the zenith due to size and brightness.

The spot from which I observed it must've only been 3 degrees above the horizon because the outer circle of my telrad was actually below the horizon!

Mike, I know what you mean! I'm looking forward to spending the next chunk of my observing sessions honing in on one particular constellation at a time and thoroughly turning it inside out, helped along with some sketching, and without feeling the need to get onto the next M to tick off :-)

I was out after M7 last night after Midnight.

I try to complete my annual Messiers near the end of june with a late-nighter (early morning really)

with M6,7,69.70,75,55,30.

I had a look around Scorpius, at M80 and M14 up in Ophiuchus, taking in CR 350 whilst up there.

Could not, for the life of me see M4 at all in the murk so not a great start, then the clouds rolled in.

Being off the south Coast, M7 Usually looks stunning on a clear night, and m6 too.

I spent the evening cleaning my mirror and collimating - ready for them tonight.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw M6 and 7 last night, having returned home too late the other night,

though I did look at M69 and 70.

Although there was a lot of cloudy streaks above, the south was clear and so even

in the not-totally-dark sky both looked bright and flashy with even the fainter members showing themselves.

I was onto M7 Quickly as I only had 6 minutes to observe it as it passed the gap to my south.

All in all, A very nice look at two showpiece clusters, and also the last two of my messiers

for the year.

Mick

Archived