NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Calling all gogs!

Dark Horizon

• 1 month later...

I was out under anglesey sky's the other night..... Well most nights this last 2 weeks..... With exception of kielder and I wouldn't say Kielder is any better, I've never seen skies so dark. The milky way just hung there like a huge cloud!!! I consider myself a very lucky man to have moved here..

That light pollution map is pretty good but what it hasn't taken into consideration is elevation. The bright spot near centre is a place called Llangefni and most of that town is situated in a big dip so doesn't pose much of a problem. Caernarfon is miles away and far lower in elevation than where I observe from. You wouldn't know it existed. :)

If ever a place should have a star party, it's here!!

I was out under anglesey sky's the other night..... Well most nights this last 2 weeks..... With exception of kielder and I wouldn't say Kielder is any better, I've never seen skies so dark. The milky way just hung there like a huge cloud!!! I consider myself a very lucky man to have moved here..

That light pollution map is pretty good but what it hasn't taken into consideration is elevation. The bright spot near centre is a place called Llangefni and most of that town is situated in a big dip so doesn't pose much of a problem. Caernarfon is miles away and far lower in elevation than where I observe from. You wouldn't know it existed. :)

If ever a place should have a star party, it's here!!

Anglesey is a great place for observing/imaging :) Plenty of quiet locations to set up a mount and enjoy the night skies. Where I am I can step out the house and easily see the Milky way.

Back to the topic there is a North Wales Astronomy Society http://northwalesastro.co.uk/ that meet up on Colwyn bay

Anglesey is a great place for observing/imaging :) Plenty of quiet locations to set up a mount and enjoy the night skies. Where I am I can step out the house and easily see the Milky way.

Would that mean you're on the island then Key?

Back to the topic there is a North Wales Astronomy Society http://northwalesastro.co.uk/ that meet up on Colwyn bay

I am a member. It's a good group, into which the "elected officers" put a heck of a lot of effort. :)

Sadly my transport is not guaranteed, so I don't always make it to monthly meetings. Notionally 

"observing nights" (Hey it is Wales!) these are interspersed with lecture nights - Sometimes given

by members, but more often, college / uni astronomers, physicists... sundry professionals etc. etc. 

As you look at the light pollution map, much of this takes place in the "notch" between the main

lights of Llandudno and Rhyl. Once you move back off the coast (Llanelian where they meet etc.),

the coastal light falls away... Even here (suburbia), I get mag five skies - Mag +17 for video astro... ;)

I'm currently in a very busy phase, but I'm hoping I get the time to pop along on the 12th (aug). I can offer a lift if you'd like one but I can understand if you declined. News of my rally skills travel far ;) lol

It'd be nice to be part of an active group again. Been a while.

Thanks for the post.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived