NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2x Barlow lens

I know there are probably 2x Barlow lens' out there that are going to be better than either of these but of just these two, which is the better (for use with a SkyWatcher 130P) ?

Revelation Astro 2x Barlow  or   SkyWatcher 2x De-Luxe Achromatic

Thank-you once again in advance for your thoughts  :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd report back with a heads-up on my initial Barlow question.  I was on the point of sending off for the Revelation when during a search for a decently priced supplier I stumbled across a review for a lens from a German-based company called Seben (selling thru' Amazon).  Anyway, took the plunge based purely on customer feedback and tried out their x2 Barlow for the first time last night.  Result ? Best £15.99 I've spent in a long time.  Yes, that's not a typo for the price and I know it may be a case of 'get what you pay for' but truly, it does the job admirably.  I know there's going to be far better quality items out there but this I believe has sneaked in under the radar for sheer bang for your buck as a solidly built lens producing quite amazing results.   

I'm grateful to reading posts here about beginners not going mad with buying different sized eyepieces and just going gently-gently as newcomers feel their way about the skies but felt it worth bringing to the attention of anyone else also starting out and who may be on a budget (or not !).  With last night's clear and relatively dark skies, views of Saturn in particular were quite superb used in conjunction with both the stock 10mm & 25mm that came with the 'scope.  

Looking forward to discovering what else is out there (once the weather has cleared again of course.....)  :smiley:

Yeah, I have one of those too (http://www.ebay.de/itm/Achromatische-Barlow-Linse-BA2-2x-fur-Teleskope-31-7mm-/200607942106?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Okulare&hash=item2eb52a45da - even cheaper if you order from their shop or amazon and get one of their Erfle or Plössl as well... no matter how mixed their telescope set reviews are, they do have some nice stuff... the cheap parts probably often come from the same factory in china, no matter if it is no name or with a company label... Of course regarding service and quality assurance ymmv.)

I find it hard to recommend any barlow pther then that one, as even the cheap "brand name" ones, -not to mention the better ED/Apo Barlows-, easily cost as much as a decent eyepiece (66 degree UWA 20-27£, HR Planetary or similar,35-45£).

The 10mm Kit eyepiece is not turning anyone blind, but along with

http://www.ebay.de/itm/wide-angle-eyepiece-1-25inches-66-degree-F-6mm-/140717462903

and perhaps a Seben Erfle or Plössl, the 130p telescopes rock and do not break the bank :-)

Archived