Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Campsites

I was in the same boat, undecided where to go until I booked this place up for the end of september on a new moon. Its slap bang in the middle of the Exmoor dark skies reserve.

http://www.halsefarm.co.uk/

There has been a few start parties held there and find found this picture a couple of days ago from the SwindonStargazers page from when they had a weekend there.

Just hope I get these type of skies

Does anyone have an recommendations for campsites on the south coast? Sort of Dorset to Cornwall, I'm not fussy - but I am chasing a few Messiers in Sagittarius. Though Exmoor might do...

(And blimey, camping has got expensive!)

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same boat, undecided where to go until I booked this place up for the end of september on a new moon. Its slap bang in the middle of the Exmoor dark skies reserve.

http://www.halsefarm.co.uk/

There has been a few start parties held there and find found this picture a couple of days ago from the SwindonStargazers page from when they had a weekend there.

Just hope I get these type of skies

Yep Hobsey, Halse Farm is a great choice and superb skies as you can see from the photo, the people that run it are great too, very accomodating.

Yep Hobsey, Halse Farm is a great choice and superb skies as you can see from the photo, the people that run it are great too, very accomodating.

Thats good to know, thank you very much as on the booking form I told them my reason for going and asked them for the furthest pitch away from the shower blocks with electric.

I just hope the farm behind doesn't have flood lights on all night.

Hi, Has anyone been to Fforest Fields near Builth Wells wales?

Dave.

Friends of ours moved to that area about 6 months ago. They visited us last month and pointed just how wonderful the night skies are where they now live and are thinking about a telescope. When we go to see them I will definitely be taking the MAK. 

HTH

Thats good to know, thank you very much as on the booking form I told them my reason for going and asked them for the furthest pitch away from the shower blocks with electric.

I just hope the farm behind doesn't have flood lights on all night.

Anthony, did not experience any problem with floodlights or anything. Also, toilet block lights can be switched low.

I've been to that site . Reasonably dark skies . Milky Way visible ( if the clouds permit)

Astronomy wise though the down side is that one side of the camp is flanked by a high hill side which obviously limits views at that direction . I can't recall which side the hill side was on now , think it was east.

The facilities are excellent and there's also very low lighting on the camp which is a bonus.

Archived